Arctic breeze in P2B

Our new topic has been unveiled and it is “The North Pole”. We are super excited to learn all about it. We had a whole class discussion and thought about what we already know about the Arctic/North Pole and what we want to learn. We put all of our ideas on a big poster.

This week we began our writing lesson by watching a video clip which showed the Inuit people building igloos. We had to listen to all of the information given in the documentary and then we used it to write our own instructions. We now know that when writing instructions you give each step a number and you give the instructions a title. We will try to use our instructions to build an igloo in our story corner.

Miss Boyes: 3 boys in class showed a real interest in writing instructions of how to build an igloo. Their enthusiasm of the topic also showed during golden time. Calvin asked me “Can you come and take a photo of our Jenga igloo Miss Boyes?” I was more than happy to as I thought this was fantastic. Jakub, Calvin and Seamus had worked together on the construction and they were able to link this straight back to their writing lesson from Wednesday. I asked them how they built their igloo and they informed me that

” you pretend that the jenga blocks are ice.” Calvin.
“You start at the bottom and build them in a spiral.” Seamus.
The boys were extremely proud and so they should be too!! I hope they have a nice surprise to see that their jenga igloo has made it onto the blog!

In numeracy  we have been continuing with our subtraction sums. Miss Boyes is super impressed by how confident we are becoming with completing these calculations.
We are now using our number lines more independently and we can subtract single digit numbers from teen digits.  We have been working together in groups on different activities around the classroom. We really love the dice game because Miss Boyes lets us write our sums on the big board like we are the teacher.IMG_1664
To check our learning from the lesson we use our special spinning wheel. It is really important that we go over what we have learnt at the end of a lesson and we think this is super fun. Sometimes Paulo the parrot joins in too as he likes to make sure we have been listening to Miss Boyes.
IMG_1670IMG_1672

Here we are showing off what we have learnt.

Keep posted to find out more about the clever clogs in P2B.

One thought on “Arctic breeze in P2B”

1. Looks like another busy week in P2B! We have been having lots of discussions about the Arctic and how to find out information about arctic animals 🙂 looking forward to hearing more next week!x