P7 Weekly Round Up

Weekly Highlights

This week our writing focus was the NARRATIVE genre. It has been so long since we wrote a ‘story’! After learning about genres of fiction, through our Sky Studios trip, we settled on the SciFi genre and watched a clip about ‘Pandora’ (the setting of Avatar) – from here we were able to plan our narrative then begin the writing process. We have been working hard on inclusion of figurative language in our writing and this gave us the perfect opportunity.

We continue to move through our learning about fractions, decimals and percentages. This week we nominated one numeracy slot as a ‘Chooseday’ where we had a range of fractions/decimals/percentages learning opportunities and were able to choose which skills we wanted to explore as we learned! Mrs Conway was so impressed with our engagement, focus and teamwork! We are building our confidence in working with fractions.

HWB

This week we looked at positive and negative influences in our lives and discussed the impact of these influences on our decisions and our general happiness. We have revisited our class charter this week and had a good discussion about surrounding ourselves with positive influences. We have also been looking really carefully at the advice we have regarding the Coronavirus and how to wash our hands effectively.

Pupil Voice

Aleks, Harley, Jay We learned how to do a jump shot in Basketball – we use  BEEF to help us – balance, elbow, eyes, follow through…

Hannah,  one day of the week we get to do a ‘chooseday’ in numeracy – this is where we get to choose our own tasks and use our skills. I’d like the creativity challenge because I got to make a quiz for my classmates.

Abi Everyday this week we used handwash/sanitiser to clean our hands. Now we have got ‘Wash Your Lyrics’ in the toilets to give us different songs to sing apart from Happy Birthday.

Joshua, Ryan B,  We have learned about fractions. We learned when you multiply fractions you multiply the numerator and denominator.  To simplify fractions you make it into it’s simplest form e.g. 12/24 would be 1/2,

Haseeb, Harley, Hannah We had Taiko drumming this week, we had to do body movements. You get to speak and shout while you do it like ‘sah’. I enjoyed learning about the different cultures where it started.

Home Learning

After a class discussion this morning it was apparent that some children are feeling anxious about the media attention surrounding the Coronavirus. It may be helpful to discuss fears and worries this weekend and look into some of the helpful information shared on the Government and NHS websites.

To lift our spirits we used the ‘washyourlyrics’ website to create handwashing posters using our favourite songs! Maybe you could make one for your own home 🙂

One thought on “P7 Weekly Round Up”

1. What a great week of learning in P7!
    I love the idea of ‘Choose Day’ in numeracy, a great way to tailor the learning for every child and what they want to learn.
    I have been singing ‘Sweet Caroline’ in the staff toilets this week when I am washing my hands, I must try out some new songs!