P1 Weekly News

We have been learning the ‘w’ sound this week. This is a red sound which comes from our lips. We are continuing to consolidate our understanding of the ‘ai’ and ‘oa’ sounds too. Some of our literacy activities:

• spelling words with the ‘w’ sound in them
  • playing snap, all cards had pictures of something that begins with the letter ‘w’.
  • developing our letter formation to form the ‘w’ sound correctly. We have also been practising the formation of the d and g sounds too.

We are continuing our subtraction topic in class. This week we have been learning how to use different strategies to solve subtraction problems. We can use our fingers to solve subtraction stories or by putting a number in our head and counting back.

IDL

One of our learning highlights this week has been learning about Edinburgh Castle. We loved learning about the different famous features at Edinburgh Castle. We learned about – castle rock, Mon’s Meg, one o’clock gun and the stone of destiny. We are in the middle of creating leaflets about Edinburgh Castle to share our knowledge with others. You will also receive your invitation for our Castle Banquet next week. We will be hosting our banquet on Wednesday 4th March at 2pm.

Pupil Voice

Amelie: I liked seeing our houses on the maps.

Sophie J: I liked playing snap, all the words had the ‘w’ sound at the beginning. One of the words was ‘wedding’.

Harry: I liked learning about subtraction.

Ollie: I liked making our own Mon’s Meg. We used tubes and a balloon. You had to fire the canon balls out of Mon’s Meg. It could fire canon balls for 2 miles!

Myron: I liked PE with Mr Cummings and gymnastics.

Parker: I liked playing snap and we were trying to get the snap the same and the winner got a sticker.

Reka: I liked write the ‘w’ sound.

Chloe: I liked learning the ‘w’ sound.

Parental Involvement 

• We have enjoyed using this song this week to help our understanding of subtraction
  • Look out for the w, ai and oa songs in the clip below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZenGE6hkvY

2 thoughts on “P1 Weekly News”

1. This sounds like a great topic and I can’t wait to come along to your Castle banquet!
    I was very impressed with your knowledge of the ‘w’ sound when I came to visit.

2. Amelie is really enjoying the castle topic, maybe due to her ambition to be the queen when she grows up! Having a castle banquet sounds like lots of fun!
    She was so excited after school on Friday to tell us that she saw her house on Google maps.