Primary 6/7 News

Learning Overview

Maths and Numeracy
We have been continuing our learning on money. We have focused on the differences between credit cards and debit cards and why people might use them. We calculated interest rates on credit cards using our knowledge of percentages. We have been revising multiplication this week, challenging ourselves to multiplying larger numbers.

In writing this week we were working on explanation. We explained how energy is transferred and how all energy comes from the sun.
Private Peaceful reading group are continuing to analyse the text and build up an understanding of the characters.
Wilderness reading group carried out research on Lapland as the characters are about to go on an adventure there. They created leaflets for tourists with information on places to visit and how to get there.

Outdoor Learning
We continued our outdoor learning in our Literacy Clans this week. We visited our clan trees and created group poems about our trees. We have added our poems to our class display.

Science
We learned how to make a series circuit. We used wires, batteries, switches and bulbs. We built the circuits and then drew diagram using the component symbols. We can explain the energy transfers that take place in the components.

Pupil Voice

At the careers  fair we went round different people with different NHS jobs and learned a lot about how to help old or young people get up if they have fallen or of they’re choking or something.
My favourite part of the careers fair was the occupational therapy because we put on rubber gloves and tried to open up a lolly to see how hard it was for people with arthritis – Shannon
At the careers fair I enjoyed going round all the stations learning about all the different NHS jobs – Aidan
Inside the careers fair building the station I enjoyed the most was the occupational therapist: you had two games to show what it’s like to have either one hand or a jumbled up memory. First there was a game to try and open a tub with one hand, next was a memory game, you would get shown items then one would be taken away, you would then have to say which one was taken away. Over all it was really enjoyable – Joshua
I really enjoyed writing about energy transfer because I got to learn about science which is my favourite subject -Kacper
I loved the NHS careers because I got to see all sorts of therapists which is the career I would love to have as an adult-Jan

Home Learning

Continue to revise multiplication strategies at home. Try to use the grid method and standard written method to check your answers.

Next week we will be focusing on internet safety. Please take this opportunity to discuss staying safe online with your children, especially safe and responsible use of social media. There are resources available here: https://www.saferinternet.org.uk/advice-centre/parents-and-carers/resources-parents-and-carers

A reminder that next week we will be continuing with outdoor learning on Monday and visiting Sky Skills Studios on Thursday.

Have a great weekend!

One thought on “Primary 6/7 News”

1. I had a great visit to your class this week during Science. I was very impressed with your knowledge of electricity and how you worked together to build circuits!