P5 Weekly Update

Learning Highlights

Science

We have been learning about endangered animals and how to classify them. We have been learning about the difference between invertebrates and vertebrates and how they are different. We were looking at mammals, birds, amphibians, reptiles and fish.

We have been learning about fractions and the correct terminology to use when discussing fractions. We know that a numerator is always the top number and represents how many parts of the whole and a denominator is always on the bottom and represents how many parts altogether. We learned some songs to help us with this.

We have been learning about an explanation text and what it is. We were looking at how it differs from a set of instructions and at the important features of this type of text. In spelling, we have introduced ‘wraparound’  spelling to help us try a different way of learning.

HWB

In PE, we have been doing gymnastics, focusing on rolling, balancing, jumping and climbing. We have been working on building up our core and upper body strength.

Pupil Voice

“I really liked learning about fractions because it will make reading recipes easier.” – Yaroslav

“I liked doing PE because I like climbing on the bars.” – Lennon

“I liked doing PE because I liked doing the balances.” – Kayden

“I liked doing art because I liked doing the pendulum painting.” – Alishba

“I like doing the comprehension box!” – Abdullah

Parent Involvement

The children would like to bake a cake or a pizza with an adult at home and cut it into equal parts for each member of their family to put fractions into a real life context.

It is safe internet day next week and we will be focusing on staying safe and using the internet in a respectful way, particularly if using social media.
Please chat with your child about the importance of this. Resources can be found at the website below.

https://www.saferinternet.org.uk/safer-internet-day/safer-internet-day-2020/i-am-educator

Have a great weekend, Miss Diamond and P5

One thought on “P5 Weekly Update”

1. PE has clearly been a highlight for P5 this week, I have seen you all practising your balances and climbing throughout the week in your PE lessons.