P1 Weekly News

Our Learning

We have been continue to consolidate our knowledge of the ai, oa, ee and oo sounds. We have been spelling, reading and ordering sentences with these sounds in them. It can be tricky to distinguish between these sounds but we are trying very hard with this. New sounds will be sent home in sounds folder after the February break. We have started to learn about writing instructions and this week we wrote a set of instructions about brushing your teeth. We were learning that we don’t use the words ‘I’ or ‘my’ when writing instructions.

Maths

This week, we have been learning about measure. We have been learning about measuring height, length, weight and volume. We have been comparing objects using words like taller, shorter, longest, shortest, heaviest, lightest, biggest and smallest. We were using non-standard units of measure such as pegs and cubes to measure our friends and objects in our classroom.

Our Learning Highlights

Lucy: I liked PE and balancing on the mats. I balanced with 1 hand and 2 feet on the floor.

Sophie J: I liked the red rainbow learning and you had to measure how heavy something was.

Max: I liked jumping off the box in PE. I remembered to have squishy knees.

Chloe: I liked the green rainbow learning you had to measure how long things are. We used the pegs to measure. The smart board was the longest thing I found.

Mason: I liked RE and learning about Jesus helping people turn water into wine.

Parental Involvement

This week in our literacy, we completed a word search with some ai and oa words. Have a go at making your own word search using this generator:

https://www.abcya.com/games/make_a_word_search

We enjoyed watching these videos to help us understand the ai and oa sounds some more:

Have a lovely weekend,

Mrs Davenport and P1

One thought on “P1 Weekly News”

1. Tricky sounds this week for you all to learn but I am sure with the help of Mrs Davenport and your Vowel House Story you will all manage to spell words with ai, ee, oo and oa.