P1 News Update

Our Learning Highlights

Last week, in literacy we were learning that ‘ai’ sound. Here are some activities we took part in to help us learn this new sound:

• We read words with the ‘ai’ sound in them and had to draw a picture to show their meaning e.g. we would read rain then had to draw a picture of a cloud with rain.
  • We played snakes and ladders with ‘ai’ words – try this at home. Write out some ‘ai’ words and put these on your snakes and ladders game.
  • We were cutting out different sounds and putting them together to spell ‘ai’ words.
  • We also used the letter cubes for the first time and used these to spell ‘ai’ words. We were also word building with the magnetic letters and velcro mats too.

We were introduced to the mighty writer board in our classroom and we were learning how it works. We used the board to help us write a story about a robot. This week, we will be using it write about a train – this will help embed our understanding of spelling words with the ‘ai’ sound.

In numeracy we have been continuing with addition. We have been using a rekenrek to support our addition problem solving. We’ve also been speaking about how rekenreks can help us add on if the addition story was 12+14 – we don’t have enough fingers! We could put 14 in our head and use the rekenrek to show 12 and add on.

Pupil Voice

Lennox – I liked playing with the bricks.

Sylvia – I was in the house corner making cakes.

Harry – Outside I was playing tig this week.

Ethan – I was playing toilet tig outside. You tig someone and then someone else flushes you so you can play again.

Sophie F – I enjoyed playing in the house corner, I was putting the baby in her pram.

Carly – We were learning about tricky words this week.

Kian – We have been adding on 2.

Joanna – I was writing my letters ‘oo’.

Lucy – We were learning about gymnastics.

Parental Involvement

This game http://ictgames.com/phonicsPop/index.html was a firm favourite this week. We were focusing on the ai, ee and oo sounds but you could pick lots of different sounds and have a go playing at home.

We have been using numicon to explore how to make 10. How many different ways can you make 10 using something exciting at home? You could use grapes or counters from your maths pack – be creative!

2 thoughts on “P1 News Update”

1. I had a lovely day on Friday in P1. They all kept me right and made sure I was keeping their routines going in Mrs Davenport’s absence.
    We enjoyed using the phonics pop game on the smartboard as part of the rainbow learning activities. I was very impressed at the addition work using bigger numbers.

2. Using the mighty writer board sounds like lots of fun for P1. We heard some of the train stories on Twitter today, and are so impressed! P1 are working so hard on their reading and writing 😍💚💛