Primary 3 Update

Learning Overview

IDL – This week we have investigated the Solar System, the Sun and the Moon. This learning was suggested by Micah, Evie and Seren when we planned our topic last week.  Highlights were heading out to the playground to use our bodies to create a model of the sun with the planets orbiting around it then taking part in a scavenger hunt in the garden to collect pictures of the planets then arrange them in the correct order from the sun. We loved working in teams to create our own solar systems – especially when we got to write on the tables to label our diagrams!

Literacy – This week our Word Boost book has been ‘The Wild Girl’ and our boost words are grubby, snug, certain, tough, pile and wild.  One of our focus areas in reading was nouns and we’ve been busy hunting for nouns in our reading books.  In writing we wrote a description of Mr Eejit from our class novel, The Eejits and we’re expanding our knowledge of Scots language too.

Maths  – In numeracy we have been adding and subtracting single and double-digit numbers.  We’ve used number patterns, known facts and counting forward and backwards to help us.  Everyone had great fun choosing whether to use hundred squares, counting beads or number lines to support their learning.  Our work on telling the time continues and we’ve been playing games to help us to tell the time to o’clock, half past and quarter to and past.

Health and Well-Being Our work on Resilience continues and we have been exploring activities to help us relax as well as talking about our emotions.  Our focus in PE has been gymnastics.

Pupil Voice – Our Highlights

Mati I liked making a diagram of the solar system. We hunted for the planets in the garden.  Then, we arranged the planets in the order of the solar system and drew the sun on the table.

Abigail I liked reading the Eejits because it is very funny.  We understood some of the words.  We also wrote descriptions of Mr Eejit.

Seren I liked going to the library because I chose a book which I really like.  It is about going to a vet.

Home Learning Opportunities

IDL – ask your child to share what they have learnt in Science about the solar system.

Literacy – look out for nouns as you read story books with your child.

Maths – try this game on Top Marks to consolidate skills in telling the time https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Flash.aspx?f=matchingpairstimev3.  We’ve had great fun playing it in class!

2 thoughts on “Primary 3 Update”

1. Your new topic sounds like great fun, I enjoyed seeing you all out in the garden on your scavenger hunt. Space is one of my favourite topics! The Eejits is such a great book, it’s awfy funny wi aw the Scots wirds!

2. Christopher loved the scavenger hunt activity and couldn’t believe he was allowed to draw on the table!! He told me all about The Eejits and how many nouns he was able to find in his reading book. Great to hear him so positive about all his learning, thank you!