P1 News

Our Learning

We have been learning the ‘l’ and ‘r’ sounds this week. These sounds can be quite tricky to say but we are working hard to pronounce them properly. We are still using the ‘ee’ and ‘oo’ sounds in our reading and spelling, one of our rainbow learning tasks was to spell words with ee or oo in them using the spelling mats. We were writing silly sentences with ‘ee’ and ‘oo’ words too, one sentence was – The spoon is up the tree. We’ve also had a go at fixing jumbled up sentences this week. The sentences didn’t make sense and we had to put them in the correct order making sure a capital letter was at the beginning and a full stop at the end and making sure the words in the middle were in the correct order and made sense!

We are continuing our addition topic and we have working on putting a number in our head and counting on – sometimes we have counted on beyond 10! We have also been developing our knowledge of different numbers that can add together to make 10, we enjoyed playing a matching game to match up the pairs to 10. We used our fingers to help us with this. We have also started to learn tricky doubles since we are very confident with doubles to 10 e.g. 1+1, 2+2 … 5+5. Now we have started learning the doubles to 20 e.g. 6+6 … 10+10.

Pupil Highlights:

Our favourite things this week have been:

Joanna: making a crown to be like a Queen. We made a flag for our castle.

Anaiya: castles have different flags so people know that castles are different.

Riyah: I liked doing number talks we were using 10 frames.

Anna: I liked learning about castles.

Sophie F: I know that castles can have different flags.

Amelie: I liked PE, we are doing gymnastics. I liked rolling down the slice of cake!

Mason: I liked learning the l and r sounds. L is for lick. R is for rack.

Home Learning Ideas

• Listen to the l and r jolly phonics jingles on youtube.
  • We played this game as part of our rainbow learning. This was reinforcing our learning about shapes and patterns from last week.

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/ordering-and-sequencing/shape-patterns

• Use this link for an interactive 10 frame and find as many different ways as you can find to make 5, 6 and 7.

https://apps.mathlearningcenter.org/number-frames/

• In our writing we listened and responded to the story ‘The Tiger Who Came to Tea’. We then wrote 1 or 2 sentences about what animal we would like to come to our house for tea and what they might eat. You could try to write a different sentence about another animal that might come to your house for tea.
  • Here is the doubles song we have been listening to in class.

Have a lovely weekend,

Mrs Davenport and P1

2 thoughts on “P1 News”

1. I have been following you all on Twitter and have loved hearing about your new topic. Your new building blocks in the playroom have been really useful when you are all building castles.
    I was very impressed at your knowledge of the oo sound when I had 2 special visitors to my office this week with the Golden Ticket.

2. Amelie is enjoying her new Castle topic and loves to tell us about how P1 are fixing the castle in the playroom. There will be lots of boys and girls being kings, queens, princes and princesses! Amelie is reading a book at home this week called Princess Penelope and the Runaway Kitten 👸🏼😊
    She would like us to visit a real castle again soon 🏰 😍