P5 Weekly Update

It has been a busy week in P5!

One of the highlights of our week was getting to use Marty the Robot. We had to use Scratch to program him and make him move. We hope to make a music video and make him dance by the end of our Marty project.

“He was really fun to play with!” – Filip

“I enjoyed making him dance; he ended up in the splits at the end!” – Maeve

“On Scratch we had lots of different commands that we could use to make Marty dance. My favourite was the splits and the circle move!” – Angelina

In maths we have been learning about symmetry. We were outside using hoops and natural materials to create symmetrical patterns and have been looking at lines of symmetry in shapes. We developed our learning further through an art lesson where we had to complete an animal drawing ensuring it was symmetrical.

“ I liked drawing the other half of the cat, it was really hard but that’s fine!” – Alishba

“I liked doing the white tiger and it has so much detail on it! I liked how it looked when I was finished!” – Wojtek

“I liked it when I had to do the hair on the face because I had to add texture!” – Harry

In PE, we were focussing on our fitness. We used playing cards and dice. If you rolled a 6, your partner got to choose what exercise you had to do 6 of. When we used the cards, each suit meant a different exercise! A joker meant 30 press ups.

“I liked it because nearly every time you got a different exercise to do!” – Marcus

“It was a competition so whoever got the most cards won! My team won!” – Maeve

“It was fun to play with because of the competition! My team had the least players and we didn’t get the joker!” – Ahmad

We have tried to incorporate more free play into our daily routine. We are taking it very seriously and have demonstrated that we can be trusted to complete our learning activities and have some free play at the same time.

“It is fun and we are getting more time to actually play with our friends!” – Ahmad

“I think it is a really good decision because it gets us away from our devices!” – Angelina

“I really like free play and I like that I can play with my friends and play board games!” – Oma

“Having time to play when we are learning helps us learn and focus more and have a growth mind-set!” – Annayah

Have a great weekend, P5 and Miss D!