P1B news update

Hello everyone,

Lucy- “This week we have learned the h sound.”

Emilie- “The h sound is yellow because we make it at the back of our mouth and we need a torch to see it.”

Joshua- “We made words with the h sound. I can make the word hot.”
Connor- “We coloured in pictures that had h at the start. I coloured in the horse.”

Emileigh- Rose “We learned the u sound this week.”

Liam- “The u sound lives in the vowel house.”

Lily- “The picture for u is an umbrella because we need to put our umbrella up so inky’s ink does not drip on us.”

Adam-“The u sound is usually in the middle of a (cvc) word.”

Lewis- “I made words with u in the middle using the magnetic letters. I can make the word hut.”

Here are our songs…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLHLwPK_068

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoVrsX6P-W8

For writing this week we wrote about our experience of seeing fireworks. We used our mighty writer board for the first time.

We were able to use our mighty writer board to help us structure a sentence. It showed us where to put our capital letter and it had picture reminders for what to write.

Khyla- “ I wrote about sparkly fireworks.”
Isla- “The star on the board meant you had to use a wow word.”

Ethan- “I wrote about the loud fireworks.”

Emilie- “I wrote about colourful, rainbow fireworks.”

We continued to learn how to add numbers this week. We have been completing written calculations. We have been counting on and trying to do this in our heads.

We enjoyed reading the number sentences and then using the numicon to identify the total amount.

We also completed addition challenges using the cubes this week. We had to read the cards and add the correct number of cubes together.

We have been using our ten frames to add 2 amounts within 10.

In number talks using our addition knowledge we have been finding the best strategies to make a total.

Can you find different ways to make 3?

Can you find different ways to make 4?

Can you find different ways to make 5?

Can you find different ways to make 6?

We used our bunny ears (fingers) to show Miss Boyes different ways of making an amount.

We have started practising for our nativity, this week we have been learning about the nativity story. We have been learning who was in the story, where it took place and what happened.

In music  we have started practising our nativity songs. We are loving our songs and are going to practise lots.

Have a lovely weekend from Miss Boyes and P1B

One thought on “P1B news update”

1. You have been so busy learning lots of new things this week, P1B!
    I wonder who will practise their number talk strategies at home with their parents using the questions above. If you do, let us know by leaving a comment below!