Nursery News!

This week has seen the beginning of our Outdoor Learning days! What a day it was 🙂 the AM and PM groups enjoyed a woodland walk to the Mid Calder woods, across the bridge. We discussed many things before, during and after our walk. Some of these included safety when out and about;  we seen broken glass and dogs mess and discussed how to keep ourselves safe from these hazards. We talked about when it is ok to run and when we need to stop (when Mrs Conway, or another adult, shouts STOP!). When we got to the woods we learned about ‘jaggy’ nettles and dock leaves – we even had two ‘nurses’ on the PM walk who took charge of the magic leaves incase anyone needed them. We all collected some interesting things and brought them back to nursery, including sticks, stones, leaves and acorns.

We are looking for a catchy name for our outdoor learning days – feel free to add one to our facebook post, or tell the nursery staff any ideas you have!

Mrs Caskie has been busy this week setting up our ‘Big Bedtime Read’ initiative. We are hoping to increase parental engagement and give children great literacy experiences through this initiative, where each child will receive a book pack with five stories each week. As part of our Pupil Equity Funding we hope to achieve 80% of our children to be sharing bedtime stories with their families on four nights of the week or more. You will see our lovely ‘bedtime’ area created in the nursery – letters went out today to outline the plans for this and we look forward to launching it at the beginning of October.

Next week is ‘MATHS WEEK SCOTLAND’ – the boys and girls have enjoyed exploring the talking tub which was full of interesting maths resources, their views and ideas have been taken into account and will be used to plan learning for next week. Please come along to stay and play, or come back and play next week – sign up sheets in the nursery!

PEEP classes begin on 22nd September – Mrs Beattie is hoping to meet some of our PM parents this week to encourage their attendance at these classes 🙂 a fantastic way for kids and parents to bond!

Ninian’s Natter is on Thursday 6-7pm – please do come along! Nursery staff will be on hand to chat all things nursery and have you joining in with maths week activities 🙂 kids and parents welcome!

3 thoughts on “Nursery News!”

1. Hey. Thanks for the blog. The walk really fuelled discussions about many things in our house. Can I just put in a wee word about PEEPs. We attended last session. There were so many positives and lovely moments. I’d recommend it to any parent or carer.

2. Wow!!! Posts like this make me so proud to be part of St NInian’s. What a fantastic week at nursery. It was brilliant to see the outdoor learning day begin and I’m sure the children will thrive with the new adventures they embark on. I am also really excited about Big Bedtime Read. Roma and I love stories!
    Thanks for the nursery calendar too. So much to look forward to this year! 🙂

3. What a fantastic week! I can’t wait for PEEP! I’m sure we will have a brilliant time 🙂 in our house we do love bedtime stories! Can’t wait too see Carly’s face once she gets the chance to bring a story home from nursery! She’s always asking why she doesn’t get a reading book for homework ( because big sister does) in Carly’s worlds “it’s not fair”
    Exciting times ahead 🙂