AWESOME P3

Good afternoon from Primary 3!

We have had another really busy week and here are some of our highlights!

RE

Primary 3 were learning about the Feast of the Ascension and behaved beautifully during our Mass at the Lanthorn on Thursday. They really enjoyed listening to the Primary 4s who shared their special Communion hymn with us.

Jack – ‘It was perfection!’  Emma – ‘It was good because they all tried their best.’

During the month of May we have also continued our learning about Our Lady and the importance of saying the Rosary prayer regularly.  We now know that she appeared to St Bernadette in Lourdes, France and the three children in Fatima, Portugal – Mrs Scott has promised to bring in special photos from Fatima because her oldest son Matthew was there for the 100th anniversary celebrations recently!  The children have also been able to use their individual Rosary beads, received as a special gift this week – practising moving along one bead at a time to say the different prayers.

LITERACY

Writing –  ‘We loved writing about Humpty Dumpty because we got to use our imagination and we could all write different stories about what happened to him. It was up to us to decide what he was doing before he went on the wall, why he was on the wall, how he managed to fall off the wall and what happened next!’ – Emily & Niamh.

The children had some fantastic ideas about why Humpty Dumpty fell off the wall – they really entertained me on Thursday!

He was trying to fly; He was pulling his socks up and fell over; He was trying to catch a butterfly: He was watching a parade and was leaning forward to see more closely; He was reaching for an apple from a tree. Brilliant aren’t they?

Reading – ‘It was fun getting to read two books on the netbook then find the answers to the questions all by myself. One of them was about Chameleons and the other one was about a type of hippo!’ – Orla; ‘It was good to do this on my own because I wouldn’t normally read those kinds of books.’ – Emma; ‘They were non-fiction books.’

GLOBAL GOALS – Having a  Quality Education

Thank you for all the foodbank pictures as our class collage is now complete.

Cameron – ‘We were learning about schools in Africa this week and some schools don’t even have any fences around them.’ Teegan – ‘I liked seeing how happy the children were when they got a better school.’ Kate – ‘They didn’t have any classrooms and had to do their work outside.’ Michael – ‘The country in Africa we looked at was Ethiopia.’ Orla – ‘When they got new toilets they were outside.’

SCIENCE

Sophie YM – ‘I learned that the Earth spins round and round. When the sun shines on one side of the Earth, it means that it is daytime there and where it doesn’t shine that means it is night-time.’

Maliha – ‘It takes 24 hours for the Earth to spin around and that is why we have 24 hours in a day.’

ART

Emma – ‘It was really interesting making my McCoo Highland Cow. I hadn’t used oil pastels before.’ Richard – ‘We learned that we had to use different colours for the stripes and draw them from the top to the bottom.’

EVERYONE –  ‘We learned that the man who made these pictures is an artist and his name was Steve McCoo.’

MATHS

‘I’ve learned in Measure that you can use different things to measure with.’ – Emma; ‘You use scales to measure weight and we were reading kg.’ – Daniel; Emily – ‘We were reading different scales about kg.’ Richard – ‘When the arrow is in the middle of two numbers it means ½.’

Enjoy what is left of the sunshine!

From Mrs Scott and Primary 3.

2 thoughts on “AWESOME P3”

1. Great work P3, I enjoy reading your weekly updates and am so proud of how you are learning about global issues.

1. Thank you! We had an interesting discussion about what it might feel like to be trying to do school work outside when it was extremely hot weather in Ethiopia. We compared this to what it would be like in Livingston eg “The paper would get soaking wet when it rained.” and “The ground would be very wet to sit on!” Kind regards, Mrs Scott.