Our weekly news

We can’t believe it’s Friday again, the weeks are flying by in P1! Here are some of the highlights of the week (sorry for the lack of photographs but we have been so busy that we forgot to take them):

In writing this week we learned a new skill, editing and redrafting. We all looked at each others pirate adventure stories and thought of ways to up level them and change the greens to pink. We then rewrote our stories onto a scroll. Some of the stories are being entered into the Young Writers competition and we decided to put the others into a book for our class library.

In numeracy we continued to learn about subtraction and focused on subtracting from 8 and 9. It’s important that we have good number sense and understand different strategies for solving subtraction stories. We enjoyed using the subtracting apps on the ipad and we all managed to log onto sumdog during our number carousels. Another of our favourite activities was the space subtraction puzzle. We played a new game this week ‘bus stop’. The aim of the game was to roll 2 dice then move your bus the correct number of spaces on the board. If you landed on a plus sign you got to add passengers to the bus, if you landed on minus you had to take away passengers. Well done to Paul L and Nathan who were our winner’s!

Image result for stop the bus game

To finish our pirates topic we made some healthy pirate snacks using cheese and apples. Before we started we had to learn about the skills and equipment needed. We also discussed the importance of washing our hands before handling food.

We want to share this video with you about being germ smart:

Everyone enjoyed the afternoon and the best bit was eating the leftovers!! We were also able to make lots of learning links, Paul M made links to symmetry when slicing the apple, James cut his apple into halves, Ephraim cut the cheese into cubes. Here are some photos of us hard at work!!

We finished the week by watching some growth mindset dojo clips. These reminded us about the importance of exercising our brains and not giving up, especially if we are finding things tricky to begin with. Instead of saying “I can’t.. say I can’t YET!”

Pupil voice:

Lucy – I enjoyed Easter structured play.

James – I enjoyed learning about food technology.

Klaudia – I liked playing with the soft toys at Golden time.

Isla – I like my new reading book.

Mark – In number work we have been learning about subtraction. I can do my sums in my head.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the spring sunshine while it lasts!!