P1M Weekly News

Numeracy this week:

We have started back up our subtraction learning this week. We will continue with this until the Easter holidays. Miss Meechan has been so impressed with how much we have remembered about subtraction after having a break from this concept for a few weeks. We took part in different games and activities to help us with our skills. One of the tasks we participated in this week was to decide which our favourite way to do subtraction sums is. We used cubes, drew pictures and crossed out objects, used our fingers or used a number line. What was your favourite way to do subtraction sums?

Literacy this week:

This week we learned a really tricky sound. The ‘th’ sound. We found this really tricky at the start of the week but by Wednesday we were spelling lots of words which used the ‘th’ sound. Jakub and Casper were spelling ‘cloth’. Kyle is spelling ‘that’ and Jarred is spelling ‘throne’. WOW! Well done everyone.

We also visited the library this week. When we were at the library we returned the books we had borrowed from our last visit. The lady at the library was teaching us about fiction and non-fiction books. We found out where the non-fiction books are kept in the library, some of us even decided to take a non-fiction book back to school with us. We even stopped off for a play at the park on our way back to school since we were all so well behaved.

Cooperative learning:

This week, Mrs Purdie set us a challenge to think about ways we show cooperative learning. We were talking about these big words and decided that it meant about ‘teamwork’. Teamwork is one of our values which we all show very well every day at school. Here are some pictures of our cooperative learning this week. Kerr, Kayla and Rutendo were learning about money together by playing in our sweet shop. The boys and girls in the lions reading group are showing how well they work together during reading time. These pictures show us using our higher order thinking skills by answering blooms buttons questions with a partner.

Have a lovely weekend,

Miss Meechan and P1M

3 thoughts on “P1M Weekly News”

1. I loved reading your blog this week boys and girls.
    Thank you, for completing my challenge about cooperative learning. You show an excellent example with this! It’s always great to hear about teamwork at St Ninian’s.
    Your visit to the Library sounds great too. I am really interested in the non-fiction books some children chose this week. Maybe I could pop down next week and you could read the books with me? I did spot Miss Meechan’s tweet about the trip to the park afterwards!!!!
    Well done to you all for remembering your subtraction facts this week. It’s so important to learn and practise these. I like using the cubes to practise my sums!

2. Fantastic teamwork and cooperation showed in P1 last week – Well done!
    I really enjoyed working with you all today in your hockey lesson where you also showed that impressive teamwork.