Awesome P3

We have lots to share with you this week, especially our exciting Ancient Egypt learning!

The children really enjoyed watching a very interesting documentary clip about the different uses of plants. They discovered that the Ancient Egyptians discovered the bark of the Willow Tree provided relief from swelling and fever. This ancient discovery has resulted in the production of Aspirin. The children were amazed that the Ancient Egyptians were able to use the natural plant as a pain relief medicine. They watched the clip and were able to work together to write down important notes about the clip. We will use these  next  week to write a short summary. Good job!

Ancient Egypt Museum Trip

P3 had a FABULOUS time at the National Museum of Scotland yesterday!  It was a great way to really kick start our learning about Death In Ancient Egypt.

Here are some highlights…

‘I loved acting out the part of an important person in Egypt who had died. I was so important that I had servants. I had to lie on the floor and pretend I was dead.’ Alexis

‘I loved seeing the mummy of a real priest in Egypt. I thought learning about the different mummy coffins was really interesting as well as finding out about the little charms that were buried with them.’Kate

‘I learned that there was an Egyptian charm called a ‘fish charm’ that was worn by an Egyptian child to stop them drowning.’ Huda

‘We had to work in groups to guess what different objects were used for in Ancient Egypt. We had to use our thinking skills and be investigators!’ Richard

‘We had to look at different pictures of mummy coffins and decide which belonged to a man, woman or child.’ We looked at the length in cm to see who was the tallest and the face for clues like the man had a beard.’ Richard

‘I guessed that the wooden object was something for resting your head on.’ Robbie

Many thanks to Ms Lynas and Mrs Azam for giving up their time to come along as parent helpers – your help was very much appreciated!

img_0090

image2image9 image8 image7 image4 image6 image1 image3 image5

Money 

Some of our children visited the Nursery children this morning to share their learning about money!

Cameron  – I told them you can get money out of the cash machine. I explained you put a card in and the money comes off your bank account.

Emma – I explained that you can use different coins to make the same amount of money. For example 10p = a 10p coin, 2 x 5ps, 10 x 1ps or 5 x 2ps.

Seamus – I told them all of the different coins that you can get and that sometimes a smaller coin can have a bigger value than another coin.

Writing

Emily – We made jelly and then wrote instructions on how to do it.

Sophie YM – We had to remember order words at the beginning of our sentences.

Richard – You have to write about everything you need.

Michael – We had to make a list of what we needed.

Kate – I really liked thinking about the different steps to do and how to keep safe with hot water.

Almost all of us LOVED eating the jelly yesterday after our school trip.

Have a lovely weekend from Mrs Scott and P3.

5 thoughts on “Awesome P3”

1. Thank you so much for coming to nursery to talk about money. The nursery children really enjoyed your visit and we were so impressed by how much you could talk about what you had learned! Well done P3! Come back for a visit anytime!

Mrs Craig 🙂

2. Sophie has had an awesome week, she really enjoyed writing about ‘jelly’ and said the best bit was tasting it when it had set. She also thought the trip was great fun!

3. Ancient Egypt is such a fabulous topic and we just had to have it as the focus of our Assembly! Lines have been sent home today so it would be much appreciated if you could please help your child to practise them. I am sure the children will impress you even more when they perform soon!