Primary 6 Weekly News

It’s been another busy week in primary 6, packed with learning! Here is what some pupils have to say:

We have been given our SumDog passwords this week and have been trying it out. It’s great fun. – Aliza

In Numeracy we have been rounding to the nearest ten and hundreds. – Erwin

We have been working on ‘today’s number’ in our smart starts. This week we introduced 2 decimal places. The number was 486.24. – Neave

We have nearly finished Skellig. I have really enjoyed listening to this novel. – Leon

We have been learning about Australian bushfires.  The most devastating bushfire, Black Saturday, was 7 February 2009. – Kieran

In our topic work we learned about how to be prepared for bushfires and completed a fire safety report. – Amera

We have made origami boomerangs, they were quite tricky – Erin O
(We will be throwing them next week to see if we can get them to return to us!)

After watching a news report about the worst ever bushfire and looking at photographs we produced our own newspaper articles.- Ciara

In PE we have been working on our tennis skills. This week we were put into teams and have been competing using a ladder.  You can challenge someone who is one or two places above you on the ladder and try and make it to the top. – Erin Roy

img_1792 img_1793

It was lovely to see the parents who made it along to our numeracy evening – thank you very much for coming along.  All children have been asked to give SumDog a try at home; they should all have their user names and passwords.  Well done to everyone who has already been on, I’m very impressed with all the points you have been getting!

We have also introduced Smiling Mind to our classroom.  This is a mindfulness technique used in Australian classrooms so we thought we would try it out ourselves.  This week the lesson was called ‘bubble journey’ – ask your child to try and explain it to you if they can remember.  We have used it in class and also at the end of PE. So far it has been relaxing and gives us time to reflect on our day.

img_1798   img_1796

I’m looking forward to all the Australia presentations next week! Enjoy your weekend,

Miss McCormack

3 thoughts on “Primary 6 Weekly News”

1. Erin is really enjoying her class topic and worked well on her presentation homework task. She is also enjoying her tennis lessons and is keen to develop this further. It’s just a shame that you can’t go to Australia for a class trip, I’d happily be a parent helper!!

2. Mrs Roy I would also be happy to help with that one…let’s hatch a plan!

What an exciting week, I know you are all really enjoying your Austrailia topic and Leon, Emily and Ciara could tell me lots about it when I met with them today, I’d love to see your origami boomerangs! I wonder if they will come back?

I’m looking forward to catching up with you all on Monday!

3. Erin O is really enjoying the Australia Topic and has really enjoyed working on her presentation. This topic could cost me a fortune as it has made the whole family want to visit. Erin is also really enjoying the sumdog homework too.