Primary 6 Weekly News

This week in PE we have developed our tennis skills even further. We learned the rules to play matches and all took turns of being the Umpire, Line Judge and players. This has led to competitive games and has been very enjoyable.

We’ve been doing carousels in Numeracy to enhance our capabilities of adding and subtracting decimals.  We have been finding prices online and adding money to help us improve.

This week in our Teacher Carousel afternoon we worked with all the P6’s and Miss Ford.  We were focused on money. We found out about the differences between Debit and Credit cards and worked on strategies to calculate prices in a sale.  We even made our own Debit cards!

image1

Our topic is AUSTRALIA!!! Which is so far really REALY FUUUUUN! This week we learned about the Aboriginals and their art and storytelling.  We listened to some traditional stories about ‘Dreamtime’ like the rainbow serpent “ hiss hiss.” We then wrote our own stories in a similar style, focusing on a story board of drawings.  We all started working on some Aboriginal artwork.  We chose an Australian animal and copied their style of ‘Dot Art’ by using cotton buds and paints.  The Paintings look great! Also don’t forget the CUDLY KOALAS AND BOXING KANGAROOS! For out Australian animal research we have been working in small groups to focus on one animal.  Each expert group will feedback to the rest of the class to share our learning.image3 image2

By Ali and Reece.

All pupils have had another fantastic week of learning.  I was very impressed with the Aboriginal stories and art work.  The pupils have shown great improvement in their numeracy, especially with place value when including decimal places.  I am very impressed with the improvement in our speedtables challenge, this really shows how much practising at home really helps! Just a reminder for all children to returen their yellow Pupil Profile folders if not already done so.

Have a great weekend,

Miss McCormack

2 thoughts on “Primary 6 Weekly News”

1. Thanks for your sharing your learning P6. It always pleases me to see learning linked to real life as it’s important that you see the purpose of your learning. I love calculating prices in sales as I love bargain!!
    Your Australian work looks fantastic. I wonder if you could consider writing letters to children in Australia? I have family who live in Cairns and I’m sure they would give me details of their local school. Let me know what you think!