P5 Weekly News

Learning Highlights

This week we have been learning about fractions, decimals and percentages. We have learned how to convert fractions to decimals and percentages and we have also learned about improper fractions.

In literacy, we have been reading our class novel ‘The One and Only Ivan’. We are enjoying this story so far but it also quite sad. We also had the opportunity to meet Dave Sutton, a real life illustrator at the library this week where we got to take part in an illustrating workshop with him. He taught us that you never make mistakes in art it is just about tweaking what you have done to get the end result you are looking for.

In art, we have been making 3D sculptures using paper. We had to use different techniques to create our sculptures including roll, loop, fringe, curl, cut and fold, spiral, crimp, tabs and cone.

In PE we have been playing basketball and were taking part in a friendly class competition where we had to try and get the most baskets. We were in 2 teams and we were using different baskets. This was helping develop our teamwork, leadership and risk taking skills. We had to use our knowledge of shooting strategies to decide on the best option to use depending on where we were situated on the court.

Pupil Voice

“I liked getting to take part in the illustration workshop with Dave Sutton because I got to create my own character and explore the world of art!” – Alishba.

“I liked doing PE because I really like basketball, one because I would like to play in the NBA and two because king of the ring is one of my favourite games!” – Yaroslav.

“I liked doing the 3D paper sculpture in art because we got to learn different techniques that make paper 3D!” – Angelina.

“I liked getting to take part in ‘Chooseday Numeracy’ where I chose to do an outdoor learning task!” – Filip

Parental Involvement

Why not try drawing some of your own illustrations as a family. You could base characters on members in your own family or be creative and come up with new characters.

To help deepen our understanding of fractions, decimals and percentages, why not make some snap cards to practise finding the corresponding fraction/decimal/percentage. We have been focussing on tenths and hundredths.

Have a great weekend, P5 and Mrs Diamond

2 thoughts on “P5 Weekly News”

1. What a fantastic experience for you at the illustrator’s workshop this week, I heard you all had great fun!
    I haven’t read your class novel before, perhaps I could borrow it when you are finished.