P2/1 Update

Overview of learning

This week we have learned about St Margaret as part of our topic Livingston Links.  We now know that she married King Malcolm III of Scotland and became the Queen.  She was a very kind and caring Queen dedicating much of her time to helping those in need.  We have a local High School Named after her.

In Literacy this week we have continued to focus on our reading skills.  As well as continuing to build on our decoding and fluency when reading aloud we have been developing our comprehension skills too.  We have learned to use scanning techniques to find specific words to complete a cloze procedure, we have also used true and false statements to deepening our understanding of the text we are reading.

In Numeracy and Maths we have been completing work on data handling.  P2 have learned about tally marks and how to record data using them.  P1 have been looking at simple bar charts and working out how many from them.

Home Learning

P2 – For home learning this week read a story with someone and try to make up some true and false statements about it to see how much they can remember and understand about it.

P1 – We have learned about sh and ch over the last two weeks.  Try to find five words that begin with ch and five that begin with sh.

Pupil Voice

As part of our Learning Conversations this week the children were asked what was their favourite thing to do at school;

Courtney – I love colouring in.

Adam – Building towers in the play area.

Emileigh Rose – I like mindfulness colouring when you try not to make two parts that touch the same colour.

Ethan – I am getting stronger at the school mile.

Isla – I like making things in the creative area.

One thought on “P2/1 Update”

1. Your topic sounds interesting, you’ve taught me some things about St Margaret that I didn’t know.
    Scanning is such an important skill in reading as it helps you find information quickly.