P5 Weekly News!

Learning Highlights

We have continued to develop our understanding of fractions this week. We have been looking at converting fractions to decimals and vice versa and introduced equivalent fractions using a fraction wall. We have had lots of different experiences including written, practical and outdoor learning experiences.

In writing, we have been learning about ‘Discussion’ text. We learned that a discussion text is when you have a 2 sided argument about a topic. We focussed on whether or not children of St.Ninian’s should be allowed to bring devices to school. We learned the key features of a discussion text include a title, and opening statement, series of arguments for and against (must have evidence to back the argument up) and finished with a concluding statement.

In PE, we have moved on to learning about the skills involved in basketballs. We practised dribbling the ball using both hands and had to try and stay in control. For a challenge we had to try and bounce the ball around us whilst sitting on the ground and dribble using alternate hands.

Last week, we had our committees. As part of Fairtrade fortnight, the Mini Vinnies Committee went to Asda to search for Fairtrade products.  One of the activities was to look at the different prices. We found bananas that were Fairtrade and normal and discovered that the Fairtrade were slightly more expensive. We think that Fairtrade bananas may be better quality but also understand that more of the money goes to help support the workers/farmers who have grown these bananas.

To celebrate world book day, we watched the 10 year anniversary of authors live and listened to Jamie Littler and Laura Ellen Anderson discus the importance of characters in a book. We then created 2 characters of our own who had to be different, have different strengths, weaknesses, likes and dislikes but would work well together as a team.

Pupil Voice

“I liked making our characters for world book day because we had to be creative!” – Oma

“I liked doing basketball in PE because I am learning new ball skills!” – Alishba

“I liked doing fractions outside using sticks to make a fraction wall and using natural materials to show a particular fraction e.g. 2/5 of 20!” – Maeve

“I enjoyed a workshop from the RSNO and am looking forward to the concert!” – Madison

“I liked doing the world book day characters as I liked getting to design my own and make it personal and unique!” – Ahmad

“I liked PE because I like doing basketball!” – Matthew

Parental Involvement

Create/ build a fraction wall with families in your garden or Local Park using natural materials. Practise aim and shooting skills for basketball using a ball and washing basket at home.

Have a great weekend, P5 and Mrs Diamond.