Primary 6/7 weekly blog

Weekly overview

This week in maths we were calculating percentages of an amount, for example find 37% of 529ml. We were also converting fractions, decimals and percentages using the 10-5-1 rule. (Ask primary 7 about this at home). We also used our knowledge of fractions, decimals and percentages to order sets of fractions and to calculate costs of hire purchase.

In writing this week we have been focusing on descriptive writing. We had to use adjectives, adverbs and figurative language. We uses our class novel, Wolf Brother, for inspiration and described the setting, the main character and the demon bear.

We have also started our new science topic this week: Energy. We have learned about different types of energy and about energy transfer. We looked at household appliances and discussed the energy transfer taking place. We also made a paper helicopter to look at the transfer of potential energy to kinetic energy.

In PE we have been focusing on floor sequences with Mr Cummings. We were using a range of rolls and balances whilst working in small groups.

Pupil Voice

Robbie – I enjoyed learning about fractions in maths.

Ola – I enjoyed practising for our upcoming p5 & 6 showcase.

Ailie – I enjoyed making sequences in PE

Louise – I enjoyed converting fractions, decimals and percentages with Mrs MacDonald.

Family Tasks

Have a look out for any discounts using fractions or percentages whilst you are out shopping or any adverts you see on tv or in the paper. Ask your child to show you how they would calculate the new cost.

Pupils have been using a new app called Flipgrid to create videos about their learning. Ask them to sign in online to show you their Spanish conversations and I Have a Dream Speeches.

One thought on “Primary 6/7 weekly blog”

1. Sounds like a busy week P6/7. I watched your flipgrid videos using the QR code on your classroom door, they were great. You’ll need to teach me how to use this exciting tool! I am a dab hand at percentages, especially when I go shopping in the sales, I love a bargain!