P1 Weekly News

Learning Overview

We have been learning the ‘d’ and ‘g’ sounds this week. We are using these sounds when we are spelling and reading. Some of our activities this week have been:

• Snakes and ladders with CVC words – when we land on a square we need to read the word we land on.
  • Played ‘I spy’ and found things beginning with ‘g’ and ‘c’. These sounds can sound quite similar so we had to listen carefully for the difference.
  • Found lots of things beginning with the ‘g’ sound.
  • Learned and wrote the correct formation for ‘g’ – making sure we kept the tummy on the line and the tail goes underneath.
  • Developed our higher ordering thinking skills in our reading groups and answered lots of ‘why’ questions about the story.
  • Used the Velcro mats and magnetic letter boards to spell words using the new sounds we were taught.

We are continuing to learn about adding numbers together. Our number talks focus this week has been ten frames. Some of our numeracy activities this week have been:

• Smart board games looking at formal written addition stories.
  • Recording the answers to pictorial addition stories and formal written number stories e.g. 3 + 2 =
  • Developing our mental addition by thinking about questions such as “if I have 3 counters and then I get 1 more, how many will I have?”
  • Putting a number in our head and counting on rather than going back to the start to count again. E.g. 5 + 3. Put 5 on your head, show 3 fingers and count on 6, 7, 8. Rather than showing 5 fingers and then 3 fingers and counting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Pupil Voice

Cinema Trip

Kian: We went to the cinema to see How to Train your Dragon 2.

Parker: we drew a picture of our favourite part.

Ollie: we were movie critics.

Chloe: I wrote ‘the film was amazing’.

Sophie F: I wrote ‘the film was OK and sad.’

Nativity Rehearsal

Carly: we are signing songs. I love the one about the little grey donkey.

Kian: we sign a song called ‘we’d like to tell you a story.’

Sophie J: I’m a star in the nativity.

Mason: I’m an innkeeper.

Lucy G: I’m an angel.

Grace: I like being Mary.

Anaiya: we are learning about adding numbers together.

Kian: 1 and 8 is 9.

Ollie: 5+4=9

Riyah: we learned the ‘g’ sound. G for gorilla.

Reka: it is an orange sound, it comes from the back of your mouth.

Amelie: an orange sound means a loud sound.

Mason: we learned the ‘d’ sound. D is for dog.

Parker: it’s a blue sound, it comes from your tongue. It’s dark blue and that means it is dark blue.

Home Learning Ideas

Listen to the ‘d’ and ‘g’ songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKW89UcvuCQ

Use the online 10 frame to explore how many different ways you can find to make numbers. E.g. how many ways to make 3?

https://apps.mathlearningcenter.org/number-frames/

We played this game as part of our rainbow learning today. We have to listen really carefully to the ending sound in a word.

http://www.literactive.com/Download/live.asp?swf=story_files/slides_US.swf

This game will help us with our formal addition stories.

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Flash.aspx?f=PostSortingcalculationsv2

We are beginning to learn about colours in Spanish.

Have a lovely weekend,

P1 and Mrs Davenport.

2 thoughts on “P1 Weekly News”

1. WOW, what a busy week you have all had. I enjoyed our cinema trip too, you were all so well behaved!! I have been enjoying teaching you the nativity songs, you are all doing so well with your singing.

2. My goodness P1 you have been busy this week! What a great way to start the week with a trip to the cinema, I’m sure you made St Ninian’s proud by showing your best behaviour. D for dragon, g for great fun! I’ve been hearing parts of your nativity songs at home, I’m sure you are all working hard to learn the words. All the mummies and daddies and families are looking forward to seeing you all in the nativity 🌟