P1D News

Here are the areas of our classroom which we wanted to tell you about this week:

Board Games

Scott: there is a piggies game. You have to roll the dice and build the house. If you land on the wolf you blow the house down and steal a house from someone else.

Amelia: in the beanie boos game there is a little elephant. You start the game in the yellow star and you roll the dice and move spaces. Then you need to land on a shape and pick the shape and look if it is the colour. If it is your colour you get to keep it, if it’s a different colour you put it back.

Roma: I liked that game too.

Carter: I liked the animals jigsaw because it was quite hard and challenging for us.

Investigation Station

Lucas: there are wee bugs and you could play with them.

Anna: there were cards that you could read about the insects and you could find out information about them. I found out that butterflies lay 50 eggs in a season.

Carter: I learned that every year an ant goes up a tree and find food to hibernate.

Layla: I learned that butterflies can fly.

Freya: We could take the little cups outside and to put animals into the cup and then close the lid and then take them back into the classroom. I found a snail so people could see it.

Logan: I saw a baby snail.

We used the story ‘Superworm’ as our inspiration for this. Here is a link to the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpN4dftXLI

Numeracy Area

Pati: there are clocks because we were learning about time. I can make 5 o’clock. The little hand at the 5 and the big one at the 12.

Celine: we learned about half past too.

Lucas: Half past 5. The big hand would be at 6 because it went half way around the clock and the little hand would be a little bit past the 5.

We enjoyed playing this game to support our learning this week:

https://mathsframe.co.uk/en/resources/resource/116/telling-the-time

and we really enjoyed this song:

Tuff Tray

Shea: it was a clock. We used pipe cleaners for the clock and you had to make a time on the clock. 5 o’clock would be the big hand at the 12 and the small hand at 5.

Fiddly Fingers

Cordelle: there were pegs and marbles and you put pegs on the blue board and then put marbles on the pegs.

Rainbow Learning

Paul: you had to find all the sounds in the story. I was finding the ‘oa’ sound.

Carter: I was looking for the ai sound – the ‘a and i’ and ‘a and y’. One word was snail and the other was nail.

Rojin: I was looking for the ‘th’ sound. One of my words Beth, the ‘th’ sound is at the end.

Logan: I was looking for the ee sound. It is 2 e’s.

Igor: Bee was in the tree.

Each group were given a printed story where they had to find as many of the sounds they have been working on as possible. The sounds we have been working on this week are:

ai/ay

th

oa

ee/oo

Michelle: for the green rainbow learning you had to write some sounds on the computers or the ipads.

Luke: you had to remember what letters to do.

Do you have a whiteboard app on a device at home where you could practise writing your sounds? We were also using microsoft word to type our sounds too.

Roma: the yellow rainbow learning was a time game on the smart board. You had to look at the clock and then you had to press the time that matched it.

The link for this game is above and was also shared on twitter.

Mara: the analogue clock is the clock is the one with hands and the numbers one is digital.

Jane: for the pink rainbow learning you needed to paint a picture of someone who could help you. I painted Mrs Davenport.

Logan: they are heroes.

Luke: I painted a police man.

Anna: I painted a teacher.

Amelia: I painted a teacher.

Lucas: for the purple rainbow learning you had to close your eyes and pick someone’s name. Then you got a heart and drew a picture of the person you picked. You had to cut it out. Mrs Davenport helped us write what was special about that person.

This activity is part of our ‘building resilience’ block of learning about our class family. Did you see our video on twitter about our partner obstacle course which also promoted our class family.

Writing

Layla: there was a bear in our classroom on a chair he was holding a book about a bear.

Cordelle: we read the story that he had it was about a bear and a house.

Here is a link to the story:

Freya: the words in the story all rhymed. We talked to our talking partner about rhyming words and then when we figured out our rhyming words we were writing them.

Shea: I wrote “a dog walked into the fog and ate a log.”

Luke: “Mouse in the house.”

Carter: “the fox in the box wearing socks.”

NYCOS

On Tuesday, we participated in a session of NYCOS with Mrs Curl. We have 2 more sessions of NYCOS to go and we really enjoyed it. Mrs Curl was very impressed with all the boys and girls who wanted to sing on their own!

Roma: we read a story about a frog sitting on a log.

Freya: in the book there was a frog and he didn’t know what to sit on. Then the cat said that frogs sit on logs.

This is the story we are talking about:

Carter: we played with the parachute.

Anna: there was a bee in something and it grew out of the stick.

Lanthorn

Carter: we were going to mass to hear the readings.

Shea: Jesus went up to heaven.

We went to mass at the Lanthorn to celebrate the feast of the Ascension.

One thought on “P1D News”

1. Wow! What a busy week. Anna loved the NYCOS session and has been practising telling the time at home🙂