P1D Weekly Update

We haven’t been learning any new sounds this week in our phonics. We are spending 2 weeks consolidating our knowledge of the sounds we have been taught and taking part in different activities to develop our blending, spelling and reading ability using these sounds as well as our listening skills to hear the sounds in a word.

Here are some of the different activities we have been doing:

One of the activities we have particularly enjoyed has been the race car blending game. We have a word on a piece of paper e.g. cat. We drive a car over the word, saying each sound as we go. We make the car drive faster and faster to help us read the word. You could try this at home too.

Carter: “when the cars cross the letters we read them”

Shea: “we have a phonics phone we say the sounds and they go into our hear so you can hear the sounds coming from your mouth.”

Pati has also being practising writing her “name”.

Carter:  “there is shaving foam on the tuff table.”

Luke: “we look at the cards and we write letters on the tuff table like n and a and p and k.”

Home Learning: What can you use at home to practise writing your sounds and sight words.

We have loved number talks this week. We have been using bunny ears to show our understanding of how the numbers 2, 3, 4 and 5 are made.

Home Learning: Ask your child to show you bunny ears for 2, for 3, for 4 and for 5. Ask your child to show you the game we have been playing with bunny ears.

Anna: “we have been counting bunny ears.”

Freya: “try and copy what Mrs Davenport is doing and get the right number.”

In our numeracy lessons this week we have been talking about 1 more, 2 more and numbers that come before or after other numbers. Here are some of the activities we have been doing:

Olivier: “counting” with numicon

Paul: “playing hopscotch. I needed to set it up myself and I had to put down the number 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 and all the way to 11.”

Layla: “in the tuff tray I was using a paintbrush to write numbers.”

Carter: “I was fixing the number line and putting the numbers in the right order.”

Home Learning: Ask your child what is 1 more or 2 more than a certain number. E.g. what is 1 more than 6? What is 2 more than 3? What number is before 7? What number is after 9?

We have developing our reasoning skills. This week, Mrs Davenport and Mrs Docherty have been asking us lots of ‘why’ questions in lots of different lessons.

A dinosaur egg had appeared in our classroom:

Anna: “a dinosaur egg came into our classroom.”

Roma: “it has hatched now.”

We had to think about why it was here.

Rojin: “the mummy dinosaur and daddy dinosaur aren’t looking after the egg.”

For our writing lesson we had to think about why the dinosaur parents weren’t looking after the egg anymore.

Roma: “I think they were on holiday.”

Luke: “I think they are at the beach.”

Carter: “I think they are shopping getting food for the little dinosaur.”

We found out that dinosaurs eat different food. We wanted to make sure that the baby dinosaur had lots of food for when it hatched out the egg.

Rojin: “we collected food for the baby dinosaur.”

Olivier: “we got leaves.”

Scott: “and grass.”

Carter: “some dinosaurs don’t eat meat.”

Roma: “it would make it sick.”

We had a wonderful trip to the library on Tuesday.

Michelle: “we took books”

Shea: “I picked a book about a spider.”

Logan: “I picked a book about a rocket.”

Jane: “we took our books to the park and we played.”

Carter: “we read our books in the park too.”

We have also been using our reading books in class lots too. Here are the titles of our books this week:

Carter: “A New Dog.”

Amelia: Six in a Bed.”

One thought on “P1D Weekly Update”

1. Shea loves hopscotch so we made one at home with number and letter tiles. He also enjoys the car blending game. Thank you for all the great ideas. I can’t believe how much they have learnt already!