P1D

Welcome to P1D!

We have had a fantastic first week of school and I am so proud of every single one of the children for the way they have settled into school life.

A few points to consider for this term:

Our PE days will be a Tuesday and a Thursday (at the moment, if this changes you will informed immediately). On these days children should bring PE kit with them – yellow PE top and black shorts/jogging bottoms/leggings etc. You may wish to get your child to leave their PE kit in a bag on their peg. This will ensure that PE kits are not forgotten on PE days.

All children should now have a pair of black indoor shoes which are to be left in the classroom to change into at school.

Children in P1-3 are entitled to free school meals and these can be order using ipay impact online system. If you are not able to access this, your child will be asked by myself in the morning to order their lunch.

This week in class we have been working on our daily routines and what to do in class. We have made our class charter and thought about  the rules for our classroom and how we can follow these.

We have been developing our pencil control by following patterns and we have been learning how to hold a pencil correctly. We know how to use the crocodile fingers to hold a pencil or we can nip it and flip it. Ask your child to show you these different strategies.

In numeracy we have been focusing on number formation and counting. We have been counting lots of different objects from dinosaurs to cubes to grapes and loom bands! What can you count at home?

We have learned some rhymes to help us form some numbers correctly.

2 – half a heart says ‘I love you’ add a line, now I’ve made the number 2.

3 – around the tree, around the tree, now I’ve made the number 3.

4 – down and across and down once more, now I’ve made the number 4.

Can you practise these too? Could you write the numbers using a pencil, chalk, play-doh, on a mirror (after a bath or shower) – be creative!

We have had lots of fun playing this game on the smart board in class too:

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/learning-to-count/teddy-numbers

Have a lovely weekend and I look forward to seeing you next week!

4 thoughts on “P1D”

1. Hi Everyone. It was lovely to meet you all on Wednesday afternoon. What a great class. Thank you for the update and all the ideas for home learning. Carter has loved his first week, if a little tired. We are looking forward to the year ahead.

2. How amazing are the P1D class !!!
    The children from the nursery were very excited to see all their old friends when we popped through for a quick visit. and what a great welcome we got. Not only were they also sitting beautifully listening , but dressed very smartly in their smart school uniforms to. We look forward to visiting again and spending the occasional ‘ Wellie Walk’ with you to..😉😉😉 ..XX
    Mrs Beattie..xx

3. Shea has had a great 1st week. I had wondered where the crocodile fingers phrase had come from so I’m glad he has been listening and learning already. He has talked non-stop about the number Jack’s which he has really enjoyed. He won’t let me take the stickers off his jumper but I hope his helpfulness continues and he can earn some more next week!

4. We are delighted that Rojin has had such a lovely start to P1. The class is super! The transition programme was fantastic and I can see how much she has benefited from it. The other highlight has been having her buddy, Beth! Rojin is really looking forward to coming into school again tomorrow after a busy weekend ‘helping’ her little brother to hold his pencil and checking that he knows his numbers!!! Naomhan cries every day to come to ‘P1’ …. I think Rojin’s enthusiasm is catching. Rojin is loving her class and teacher and she does also talk a lot about how good the lunches are!
    We couldn’t have chosen a better school for Rojin -there is something special about St Ninian’s- the nurturing , supportive atmosphere was tangible from the moment the buddies took the P1s into the classroom last Tuesday. I really enjoyed looking at the walls and the set-up of the room. It looks like a really good place to learn and grow in. The little welcome gift of crayons and the glow stick was really thoughtful and kind.
    Thanks to all who have made the transition from nursery to P1 so smooth and enjoyable ( if a little tiring) …. she was feral at home on Tuesday evening having had such a great day in P1.