P7/6 Little Week, Big Learning!

Here are the highlights that the children have chosen to blog about this week.  I cannot believe we covered so much in three days…great work P7/6!

New Topic – We have started work on our country study of learning about the USA.  Freya said “We have been learning about the White House and Obama”.  The children have been really interested in this and were able to talk about the forthcoming election and could discuss the candidates running for office.  Well done P7/6, keep reading the newspapers and watching the televised news as it is so important to know about changing events in our world!

Writing – As part of our country study we wrote a letter to President Obama.  Mikolt said, “We wrote a letter to President Obama and we focused on our use of punctuation especially question marks when we asked a question”.  Danielle said “I’m very proud of my writing this week!”.

Maths – Sophia said “We are learning about perimeter and how to add the sides to find the answer, and we extended this to use decimal numbers.”  Luke said “We have been learning different strategies in maths to find the answer to 19+19”.  This is part of our Number Talks maths learning.  When Billie was working out the answer she turned the calculation into a tower sum in her head and added to get the answer.  Isabella rounded to the nearest 10 and then added, once she had her rounded answer she took away two.  Great responses!  If you would like to have a Number Talk at home try this one, (remember and tell the grown up how to use their thumb and fingers to show the number of strategies they have worked out).  Post a reply describing one of your strategies.

26 + 27

The Path Of Peace – Jessica said “As part of International Day Of Peace the children in our school and Dedridge Primary all created pictures and these were laid as a path between our schools”.  Please see our twitter account for photographs of the event.

Committees – A new session means new committees.  Billie said “Is is great to get time out of class to work with different children from the school”.  Committee Friday looks like it will be a big hit this session again!

Well done P7/6!  Have a lovely weekend.

Mrs Currie

2 thoughts on “P7/6 Little Week, Big Learning!”

1. Oh what a great week! I love that you’re writing letters to the president, I really hope you send them to him and we get a response from him! Sounds like your maths will really get you thinking! I’m sure Mrs Currie has lots of exciting activities planned to help you with your learning of these topics. Miss Smyth 😀