P5

This week we have used the focus of Mercy through our Catholic Education Week work.  Through this we learned about the parable of  “The Prodigal Son” which Pope Francis also call the parable of “The Merciful Father”.  We used our literacy skills to create a comic strip of the story which highlights the main points.  To do this we engaged with the story of the parable in a variety of ways one of which was a short animated version of the story.  Please use the link below to see the story.

We then designed our own snap shots from the story which told the main points.  From this our comic strips were created.  Some of these will form part of a Catholic Education Week wall display.

Talking of wall displays I commented last week that I would post a picture of our completed art display of our Scottish Waterfall Landscapes, my apologies as I have forgotten to take the picture.  I will post first thing on Monday the photograph.  I would be grateful if any of our class reminds me on Monday morning (perhaps a dojo if you do!).

In writing this week we looked at the story of Robert The Bruce and The Spider.  We were writing the story from the Spiders point of view.  We used a story starter which demonstrated good use of openers and connectives and the challenge was to continue the story trying to maintain good openers and connectives.  We have not fully finished these yet but they are reading really well so far.  We will continue this in next weeks lesson.  Well done to our Golden Ticket winners from last week for their “Guide To Be An Awesome King”, James for up levelling his work, Reece for good use of WOW vocabulary and Emily for amazing explanations.  You have not managed to get along to Ms Purdie or Miss Smyth yet but we will make sure that this happens at the beginning of next week.

In PE we are making full use of the apparatus this week.  Some of the gymnastic skills are coming along really well and you can see how the children are individually progressing, well done and thank you Mr McCurdy you are doing a great job keeping the children and Mrs Currie right.

IMG_0536[1]IMG_0537[1]IMG_0525[1]IMG_0526[1]IMG_0534[1]IMG_0529[1]

Next week is our Technologies week.  I am really looking forward to it especially our trip on Monday to “The Bridges”.  Please remember to bring a packed lunch as we will need to have an early lunch before we head off.  Please remember our trip does not have us return until 4.15pm.  Over the course of the week we will be focusing on Bridges, and designing and building bridges…not hard hats will be required as they will all be SCALE models.

In preparation for our trip on Monday if you can find out some information about the bridges (new and old) post one fact on this blog and earn a dojo!

Have a lovely weekend.

Mrs Currie

4 thoughts on “P5”

1. The Forth Road Bridge opened in 1964, is in east central Scotland. On 4 December, the bridge was closed to all vehicular traffic, pedestrians and cyclists due to structural issues. The bridge reopened to all traffic except heavy vehicles on 23 December 2015, and is expected to reopen to HGVs (heavy vehicles) around mid-February 2016.

2. You have all worked hard on developing your gymnastics skills. I’ve been really impressed each time I’ve walked through your lessons. Lots of focus and effort from each of you.
    A hard working class!

3. The Forth Rail Bridge is 8,296 feet long, and it was renovated and repainted in 2011. It was originally built in 1890.