Dissolving or melting in P5?

It was St Andrew’s day on Monday and we all took some time to revise our knowledge about St Andrew.  We watched a short video clip and then using our Letterjoin handwriting copied some information into our jotter.  We drew the Saltire flag and now fully understand how our flag represents our Patron Saint St Andrew.

In our Science we started to discuss dissolving.  Many children talked about how sugar will MELT in the water, this raised the question is melting and dissolving the same thing?  We conducted a dissolving investigation and started our first formal Science report.  We will be continuing to look at the question of dissolving and melting next week and we will try to understand why these are two different processes.  If you want to get a head start on this watch the below clip.

We will continue to link our learning next week when we complete an exercise about famous Scottish Scientists and we will appreciate that Scotland has a very rich Science background and that this is something to be very proud of and to strive to continue into future generations.

I can’t wait for next week when we will have time to share our Science Book homework projects.  I have been hearing about some of the amazing investigations and learning that has been happening, I am so excited!

There is just enough TIME left to talk about Maths.  This week we have revisited telling the time from analogue clocks and then converting this into digital time.  For your homework I wanted you to find as many opportunities to tell the time this week so hopefully everyone has had lots of practise.  This will be our Maths focus next week too.

Have a lovely weekend, and wrap up warm!

One thought on “Dissolving or melting in P5?”

1. I love your head start for next week’s learning Mrs Currie. What a great way for the children to prepare.
    P5, you are responding well to Mrs Currie’s challenges this term and she’s told me how impressed she has been with your hard work. What a great start to Second level learning. I can also tell from your blog post that you learning is meeting our school value of exciting learning and teaching!