A STORY OF HOW CREATIVITY AND BRAVERY CAME TOGETHER

As told by a P5 pupil and her mum     

Creativity and Bravery

VIDEO NUMBER 1

P5 pupil:

“During Lockdown one of our tasks was to create a warm up for an activity. I did a couple of fitness videos, l had to be creative to make my video’s stand out. I didn’t feel very confident at first about sharing my videos but l said to myself be brave you can do this. My teacher shared my videos on twitter and they had 100s of views. I love doing fitness/sports videos and sharing.

This is how creativity and bravery come together”.

VIDEO NUMBER 2

Mum:

“Lockdown has played a big part in people being more creative but with E* it has shown another side of her.  Creating and sharing her videos has boosted her confidence. She didn’t want to send her videos on the team chat for everyone to see because in her own words “l’m not brave enough” but she did and everyone loved them .

This is how creativity and bravery come together.”

VIDEO NUMBER 3

This INspired learner has displayed amazing creativity bravery!

We would love to see more of your efforts. You can share these in a number of ways…

TWEET:

@StayINspiredWL or use #aspire2inspireWL

EMAIL:

StayINspiredWL@westlothian.org.uk

GLOW TEAMS:

Ask your teacher to share it on your behalf through the…

#Digiken Team in the INspire Weekly Challenge Support channel

GET SHARING. YOUR EFFORT COULD BE THE NEXT DOSE OF CREATIVE BRAVERY!

Grand Designs Meets the Haggyo

Kevin McCloud is a British Designer and is known for presenting Grand Designs.  This week, on Grayson Perry’s Art Club (Channel 4), he created this model of his dream home.

His dream home consisted of the following:

A Jam Tent – to combine his love of music and making Jam.

Image

A greenhouse with the tomato of his dreams because he likes growing vegetables and has an allotment.

Image

A Tower to represent the ‘heart of happiness’

Image

And finally, a little bloom of imagination and adventure!

Kevin said that our homes are an extension of who we are!

Could you work in a similar way when creating your Haggyo?  How could your Haggyo represent the people that go there?

A little frustration brings out a WHOLE lot of good!

Frustration, although painful at times, is a very positive and essential part of success.

-Author Bo Bennett

A letter from a parent: 

Dear Mrs,

I hope you don’t mind that I have contacted you via your email. I just wanted to share Terry’s IMpossible challenge story with you and will get him to upload his things on the teams thing. I just wanted to share this very special achievement with you, which you are welcome to share with others, because I am incredibly proud of how much perseverance he has shown. In times of frustration and upset he kept trying at it, he came up with a resolution on how he can achieve his challenge.

Terry’s challenge for INspire: He chose Gawi to start with this week. He decided his challenge was to learn to draw Sonic the hedge hog… this is currently his favourite character right now and if you know terry as well as I know you do, you’ll know how much he loves his characters. He had seen the Sonic The Hedgehog movie on Monday night as our movie night Monday and instantly loved it. So when Tuesday came he set to work for him to perfect a sonic draw by hand for Gawi….. Tuesday and Wednesday he had drawn so many attempts, he got angry and frustrated with “not getting it right”, he asked “can I see pictures of Sonic”, so he googled pictures and tried again to draw. Then he watched the movie again and tried again…. but it just “wasn’t working, I need more help, I can’t do it “…… he had a cry and needed some cuddles but he still went back to it after a break… he was so determined.

Last night before bed I said “it’s ok to not get things straight away, let’s rest your brain as it’s worked so hard and see what tomorrow brings us. Fresh mind fresh ideas”

This morning we talked about his sonic drawings and how well he has come already, lining them all up and even though he said it isn’t right, it was great that he still tried…then came his lightbulb moment
“What if people made videos to help kids draw?….”
he asked “can you help me on youtube mum”
My incredibly smart and resilient boy searched for step by step drawings for kids….

Et voila

He found lots of them, he was so happy, with monitoring from myself, he sat and carefully watched step by step different characters being drawn and has worked hard today to perfect it. He is so happy and so proud of himself for his achievement… I just wanted to share this with you… I know it’s not your typical challenge but this was one Terry chose and worked hard at and I just felt like I should share his IMpossible Challenge story!
I’ll ensure he shares his work on teams for others to see.

Thank you!

Are you feeling frustrated? Are things feeling IMPOSSIBLE? Good! Learning is coming!

INspired words of wisdom!

BEING INSPIRED CAN BE HARD!

Sometimes creativity, innovation, and inspiration can come to us in a flash of brilliance! An amazing idea just pops into our head fully formed. Most of the time it doesn’t work that way.

Below is a quote form one of our INspired students. He made a small machine to help give his dog snacks. When he was having a learning conversation with his teacher, this is what he said:

“…trial and error can be useful in any problem because it lets you work out what works and what doesn’t. 

He then shared a quote he had found from  Thomas Edison:

I didn’t fail, I just found 2,000 ways how not to make a light bulb; I only needed to find one way to make it work.

KEEP THESE IDEAS IN MIND AS YOU WORK THROUGH YOUR CURRENT CHALLENGE!

A Little Reflection to Start

TAKE SOME TIME TO REFLECT!

It is important to take some time to learn from your INspired experiences. Thinking about the process and approach you used to tackle the previous challenges can help improve your future efforts!

THINK ABOUT EACH QUESTION:

(… DISCUSS THEM WITH OTHERS IF YOU CAN!)

• What things do I know now that I didn’t know before?

• What skills have I gained or improved?

• What skills do I still need to gain or improve?

• What made me fell frustrated or angry?

• How did I deal with this feeling? + How could I have dealt with it better?

• What made me feel proud? 

• What worked well? + what helped you to be successful?

• What didn’t work well? + what barriers prevented you being successful?

• What would I do differently?

• What experts did I work with?

• What experts might help improve my ideas?

• How well did I manage your time?

DO YOU HAVE ANY GOOD REFLECTION QUESTIONS OF YOUR OWN? LEAVE A COMMENT TO SHARE IT WITH THE INSPIRED COMMUNITY!

NEXT LEVEL THINKING!

ELEVATE YOUR IDEA!

INspired by yesterday’s post (what do you mean you haven’t seen it!?! – GO AND LOOK IMMEDIATELY), here is a tool that can help take your current ideas to the ‘next level’.

It is easy to be content with your first solution to a challenge, but sometimes asking yourself…

WHY? WHAT IF? HOW?”

can help to inspire an even greater idea.

For more information, look at the WWH Chains tool that has just been added to help support Critical Thinking skills!

LEAVE A COMMENT IF YOU MANAGE TO USE A WWH CHAIN TO IMPROVE YOUR IDEA!

Some elevator INspiration!

Check This Out!

This creation was made by a P3 & P4 brother-sister from St Thomas’ Primary.

The dynamic duo (along with some help from mum!) managed to create a working elevator!

To reach this awesome creation, they decided to look around the house for things that might work together –

They spent lots of time researching different contraptions and machines, and decided on a final prototype: the elevator!

The assembling part – looks tricky!

Mum said:

“It was a lot of fun, a few tricky parts but they persevered and managed just fine. We had a lot of fun researching the different types of little machines you can assemble and make from things at home, it was definitely a winner and I enjoyed taking part!”

Are you INspired by this? Let us know!

A Dose of INspiration

Check out this prototype in response to the BAWI challenge!

This INspired learner has displayed amazing creativity!

TWEET:

EMAIL:

StayINspiredWL@westlothian.org.uk

GLOW TEAMS:

GET SHARING. YOUR EFFORT COULD BE THE NEXT DOSE OF INSPIRATION!

QUESTIONS over ANSWERS

What is more important – having the right answer or having the right question?

We think that one of the most important skills that YOU need to develop is the ability to ask AMAZING questions. Starting with INspired and thoughtful questions usually creates more creative, innovative and unique answers.

We were lucky to be able to hear about a few of the fantastic questions that some young people asked yesterday in relation to the Set 1 challenges. Maybe they will challenge your thinking…

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Try out the QUESTIONS ONLY critical thinking tool. It might change how you think about the task, or what you have done so far.

LEAVE A COMMENT if you think you have an interesting question about one of the challenges!

#aspire2InspireWL