St Anthony's Primary School Blog

Nursery Rhymes

Hello everyone.

I hope that you are all well and managing to get outside to enjoy this lovely sunshine? I know some of you have been spotting some of the signs of Spring in your garden and while you have been out walking. I have loved seeing all the daffodils blooming and the buds appearing on the trees. Because of this I thought this would be a good time to share a wee nursery rhyme about growing – Mary Mary Quite Contrary. Here is a wee link for a video of the song so you don’t need to remember the tune yourself!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/school-radio/nursery-rhymes-mary-mary-quite-contrary/zdtj47h

Nursery rhymes are so important in children’s development of language and communication skills and also helps them to develop self confidence. One of my favourite  pieces of research is that “If children know 8 nursery rhymes by heart by the time they are 4 years old, they are usually amongst the best readers by the time that they are 8” (M.Fox, Reading Magic).  So get singing everyone!

Take care

Miss Watt, Mrs Rybak, Miss Curran and Mrs Marshall