The Kirkhill Chatter

Kirkhill Nursery and Primary School, Rashierig, Broxburn, West Lothian, EH52 6AW

P3 Learning Activities

Good morning everyone,

It is another beautiful day, the sun is shining and I hope you are ready for our class learning activities?

I found a book on Oxford Owls featuring Winnie the Witch. Have a read as it will tell you how Winnie is coping with Lock down.

I also thought you could have a go at adding some simple fractions together. We are using the pictorial method to work out the sum, there are pictures to help you. To complete today’s work we are only adding the numerator- Top half of one fraction with the top half of the other fraction. You can use the picture to tell you how many parts to colour. First click on the PDF picture and the worksheet will download for you. You can either print it out or copy the sums into your jotter or a piece of paper and you can answer the questions.

Log on to Sumdog to practise your numeracy skills.

For today’s challenge, I thought it would be great if you could try some cooking or baking. Try to make something healthy. Maybe you can make enough for all your family to share as a snack.

Pea shoots- If your seeds have begun to germinate then you are ready to plant them in some soil. Remember that soil helps to give the germinating seed the essential nutrients it needs to grow. If you don’t have a pot to plant in, then you can use a recycled tin- a soup, bean or vegetable tin is ideal. Give it a wash and remove the label. Be careful! Avoid touching the inside rim of the tin as it will be very sharp and can cut you. You could ask an adult to help you with this. Fill with soil and place the germinating seed inside, roots down, shoot up. Cover with a thin layer of soil and add a little water. You can pop your seed outside in the garden or watch it grow on a windowsill. Remember, light is also essential for a plant to grow as it allows the plant to make it’s own food. Can anyone remember what this process is called?

I would love to see pictures of your pea seeds or planting process and your healthy snacks. Feel free to email your photos to the school email address and I can share them to our P3 Blog page.

Learning-Grid-20th-May-20201

Have a great day,

Kind regards,

Mrs McDonnell