The Kirkhill Chatter

Kirkhill Nursery and Primary School, Rashierig, Broxburn, West Lothian, EH52 6AW

Weekly News – P7

| 1 Comment

This week we have been continuing with our work with decimals. We have been increasing in confidence in using our addition, subtraction, multiplication and division skills. The Tetrahedrons realised the importance of place value when multiplying and dividing decimals by 10, 100 and 1000.

As part of our WW2 topic this week we have been building our own Anderson shelters in small groups. Mrs Weir was really impressed with our designs and is going to be testing their strength next week to make sure they would not collapse during a bombing. We had two pieces of writing linked to our topic this week – newspaper articles from around the time period of 1939-1945 and an imaginative letter from an evacuee to their parents. We are continuing to impress Mrs Weir with our use of V.C.O.P.

On Thursday we had a visit to Broxburn Academy where we experienced Google Expeditions Virtual Reality (VR). Some of the scenes we got to experience were: Under the Sea, The Solar System, The 7 Wonders of the World and Space. Everyone really enjoyed this experience and would like to do it again.

Our thoughts of the week:

“Adding and subtracting decimals made me think a lot more than usual.” Kyle
” I liked looking at the planets in VR.” Abbie
” I loved going underwater and looking at sea creatures.” – Leah Cl
” I really enjoyed having more opportunities for writing this week.” Evie
” My favourite VR experience was looking at The Great Wall of China” Leah Cr
” VR made me feel sick.” Jack
” I enjoyed designing tartan with Mrs Clark.” Amy
” I thought VR Under the Sea was great.” Lenny
” The landscapes were cool at Google.” Codi
” Google VR actually felt like we were there. I liked having the wall bars and equipment out for gymnastics.” Holly
“I enjoyed working in a team with Evie and having the equipment out in gymnastics.” Chloe
” It was fun to be able to see things behind us during VR.” Caitlin
” Having the box and wall bars out was my favourite thing. I also enjoyed writing my newspaper article.” Shannon
” I enjoyed football during our outdoor P.E. slot on Monday as everyone was working as a team.” Shannan
” I liked visiting India.” Emma
” I enjoyed making our Anderson shelters.” Declyn

One Comment