The Flipped Classroom

The Flipped Classroom Video

A video explaining the theory behind the flipped classroom.

If you have used the flipped classroom at all, let me know how you got on with it.

1 Response to “The Flipped Classroom”

• Hi Ed,

Interesting idea. On reflection, I think that I take elements from this approach into most of my teaching planning as it is.
    There is a place for initial teacher instruction/ group exploration of what we are learning about from the front of the class, if you will. But on the whole, I would aim to limit this to a few minutes so that the majority of the exploration is by students. Using “All Must, Most Should, Some Will” to structure the students’ exploration at their desks is one form of differentiation. Setting up the classroom so that there is opportunity for genuine collaborative enquiry is another. Then the place of the teacher is to move around offering help and support as necessary.
    The aspect of this which is interesting is pre-loading the content of the lesson as pre-lesson homework. An interesting idea which presents two challenges. 1) Students not doing the homework and therefore not being prepared. Not to focus on a negative as I would just give it a shot anyway, but it is perhaps a concern in our school environment. 2) Materials available on-line. As much as I try and ensure that all my teaching ideas are supported by materials which are “take away”- sometimes it just isn’t possible, particulary for a practical subject such as Drama where so much of the learning has to take place physically and collaboratively. However, where the materials are appropriate (say for a topic such as “Macbeth” for Higher English) I would be keen to try something along these lines with senior students more.
    In all, interesting and another strategy to use as appropriate.
    Thanks, Ali
    P.S. Lisa did something along these lines using Ted Talks this year I believe.