Castles

We have been learning about castles. We have been learning to describe castles. We think castles are big, old, dark, strong, high, busy and noisy. We have also been learning about verbs. Inside castles, we think people would be working, eating, sleeping, fighting, chatting, reading, cooking and cleaning. The names of things are called nouns. We know castles have turrets, drawbridges, cannons, stairs and towers. We still have more to learn…

7 thoughts on “Castles”

1. Some great vocabulary there P3! I wonder what people inside a castle might be cooking? Something tasty?
    Do you know, or can you find out what crenellations are?
    The first person to post the answer wins a prize from me!

2. James thinks that in the catles in medieval times they would have eaten pheasant,stews and chicken and perhaps drank mead.

3. Max has been finding out about life in Castles. We have been reading that for breakfast in medievil times bread washed down with ale or wine was popular for breakfast. Lunch and dinner was combinations of pork, beef, mutton and poultry which was cooked on a spit, turned by the cooks. They also made stews and soups in large iron couldrons that hung over the fire. Common vegetables such as onions, beans and garlic were also popular as were fish dishes.
    When Scotlands King James got married they had special banquet meals that included Boars Head, Swan, Peacocks, Suckling Pigs, Cranes, Plovers and Larks.
    Max is glad he didnt live in medievil times because he said he couldnt eat boars head or swans….Max says yuck

4. I’m looking forward to finding out what else you learn about castles. It sounds really interesting. I don’t think I would like to have lived in medieval times though.

5. Max has been busy finding out about Mr Drummonds quiz question here is what he found out:

Description of the Crenellations
    Crenellations (battlements) are the distinguishing feature of a castle – clearly indicating that the castle was built to withstand a battle. A crenellation was a rampart built around the top of a castle with regular gaps for firing arrows. The Crenellations was situated on the top of castle towers and walls. The Crenellations composed of:

‘Crenels’ (The gap, or open space, measuring 2-3 feet wide, between two Merlons in a battlement or crenellated wall )

‘Merlons’ (The solid portion between two Crenels in a battlement measuring 4 – 5 feet wide and 3 – 7 feet high)

Purpose of the Crenellations
    The purpose of the Crenellations was to provide a fighting platform and good vantage point from which soldiers launched arrows. The crenellations also provided defenders with a solid defence to hide behind when they were not launching arrows from the gaps in between the stone battlements. The gaps in the crenellations ( the crenels) would also have temporary wooden shutters offering additional protection during siege warfare. Attackers would scale the castle wall and scaling ladders had hooks designed to fit over the crenels.

6. Well done Max! You have obviously been enjoying doing some reserach at home. We will share your facts about crenellations with the class today and discuss the diet of medieval times. I agree with you, I could never eat swan – yuck indeed!

7. Well done James! You have obviously been doing some research at home and I read your learning diary yesterday – I’m pleased you are enjoying learning about history and castles. Keep up the good work.