Researching, writing, building and designing

Halloween week or not Primary 7’s were very busy. We are continuing to study the Ancient Greeks, and our challenge this week was to find out as much as we could about Odysseus and why he is important in Greek Mythology. We had laptops and books as our resources, and had to use them to make our own key notes, to help us create something that we could later present to the class.

We are still busy in Forest Schools and our dens are really taking shape. This week some of us were taught how to use tools safely and responsibly to help us create our shelters. Next week is our last week, and we hope if the weather allows, to learn about fire making.

In our writing lesson, we were discussing different types of writing and the vocabulary they use. We concentrated on using specialist vocabulary to do with parliament, as we were writing a letter to our MSP Mrs Angela Constance. Our letter was a formal piece of correspondence, so we had to ensure it was set out correctly and that correct formal vocabulary was used.

On Thursday, not only did we do French and Music with Mrs Ewing in the morning, but in the afternoon the P7’s from our Ladies came down to join us to form a choir for Christmas. It was good fun to work with them and Mrs Ewing. We are learning some really good songs, some traditional and some modern.

On Friday at PE Mr Tennant set up an agility obstacle course for us. It definitely got our hearts beating faster! After playtime we had house time, where we met together with all the children in our house from the different classes. We had challenges to complete, including designing our own mascot. Each of us had to draw what we thought should be our house mascot and the house captain and vice captain choose the winners. It definitely has been another busy week!

” I really liked using the saw to cut down a small tree for our den. The ranger had found the tree and taught us how to saw safely”-Katie

“I was quite nervous when I saw the agility course that Mr Tennant had set up. But when I tried it, it was great fun!” – Erin

“Our den is actually finished! We have lots of room inside for us all to shelter, and not much rain gets through, so we stay pretty dry!” – Matthew

“The PTA’s Halloween Disco was great fun! My favourite part was dooking for apples!” – Leon

“I used the big saw with Brad to cut down a big branch for our den”- Shayne

“I really enjoyed working with the P7’s from Our Ladies and Mrs Ewing in the afternoon, to form a choir  to sing at different Christmas events” – Sarah

“Doing the weather in French with Mrs Ewing was fun, we are going to do a weather forecast in French too!”- Madyson

” I really loved learning “Somewhere only we know” with Mrs Ewing” – Erin

“The resilience group was great fun, we used origami to make paper penguins” – Keiron H

“Designing our house mascot was fun, especially since it was made into a competition”

– Robbie Mc