Kirknewton Primary School

Primary 2 Scottish maths week.

The children enjoyed the task Mathsy left us. The children had to build their own rekenrecks.  We will be using them to help with our sums all next week. The children wrote letters to Mathsy independently  and he/ she sent us back  a response. The children were very intrigued and decided to become detectives and discover who Mathsy was from the school staff.  Here are  some of their deductions.

I think it is Mr Corse because he has a pencil behind his ear for sums and he uses numbers. H and A

I think it is Mrs Brownlee because you help people learn with maths. L

I think Mathsy is a spy because he wears black. I think it is Mrs Walkingshaw  because of the zigzags ! S and P

I think Miss Hocking is Mathsy because she always wears black . She wears a mask ! B

I think Mathsy is Mr Buckley because he is a boy ! C

As part  of our speaking and listening curriculum we have been looking at an international project from world renowned illustrators. The project is called “what makes me smile.” Each day a new illustration is posted and the children learn about the artist , the techniques used and asked to discuss and answer questions. Your children have also drawn what makes them smile and I will be  entering them into the competition.

Here is some information from the project and the link so you can look at the pictures again with your child.

“We’ve asked ten of the best, prize-winning children’s book illustrators from around the world to illustrate what makes them smile. We’ll be sharing a new picture every day over the next two weeks.

Children across the country will have had varied and unique experiences of lock down and all will need support to reintegrate and to reflect on their experiences, deal with the present challenges of daily life and look ahead to what the future holds. We hope that our project can help a little towards this by providing daily opportunities to discuss, reflect and consider the things which make them smile.

https://thechildrensbookshow.com/news/what-makes-you-smile

The children have been completing independent tasks each day to develop self learning as well as adult led learning. This teaches the children time management and organisational skills and motivation. We are using the lolly stick scheme started in P1 .

1. Hi,
    There’s optional home learning on Sumdog that’s locked and Elizabeth can’t do it. The Spelling training and Grammar training are also locked.
    Should they be locked?

2. Hello that doesn’t seem right .I will look into this with Lizzie tomorrow.