Kirknewton Primary School

Monday 22.6.20 – Primary 1

Good Morning and welcome to our final week of Primary 1!

I hope that you have had a fantastic weekend.  This weekend I spent some more time in my garden and began making something very special which I hope you will get to see soon!  If you would like to tell me more about your weekend please leave a message in the comments and I will get back to you.

As it is our last week together we will not be doing as many formal literacy and numeracy activities.  We will continue with our minibeasts topic and, towards the end of the week, start thinking about moving into Primary 2.

Here are your learning activities for today:

Today we are going to learn about a different minibeast.  Have a listen to this story to find out which one:

That’s right! – Today we are going to learn all about Ladybirds.  Ladybirds are a type of beetle that can be found all over Scotland and the rest of the world – although some people call them ladybugs.  Here is a clip from Jess and her Minibeast adventures to give you more information:

Here are some ladybird tasks for you to do today – please remember that you do not have to do all tasks, just choose a few from the list below:

• Ladybird factfile – Use the template provided minibeast-fact-file-template or create your own ladybird factfile.
  • Lifecycle of the ladybird – Ask an adult or older sibling to read through this PowerPoint with you:

t-t-5222-ladybird-life-cycle-powerpoint_ver_2

Here is a link to the clip embedded in the PowerPoint just in case it does not work –

Kass Finlay McAuliffe COMMON SPOTTED LADYBIRD.wmv

You could draw your own or life cycle or download and complete this tasks sheet ladybird life cycle

• Ladybird labelling – Download this worksheet ladybird labelling or draw your own ladybird and label it using these words:

head        antennae        legs        wings        spots        abdomen      

• Beetle drive – Play this game with someone in your family and use your knowledge of subitzing to build your own beetle.  All you need is a dice and something to draw with.  The rules are below and there is also a recording sheet that you can download and use if you wish.  beetledrive-4-freegamesheet

• Ladybird doubles – Can you double the spots on the ladybird – How many do you have altogether?

Download and print the worksheets below or draw your own ladybird doubles in your home learning jotters.  Can you write the sum?

ladybird doubles to 10

ladybird doubles to 20

OR have a go at this online games – http://www.maths-games.org/ladybird-doubles.html

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/learning-to-count/ladybird-spots

• Create your own ladybird or beetle – These could be made out of anything that you find around your house.  Here are some pictures to give you some ideas:

If you need any help I have included some instructions on how to make a toilet roll ladybird – I know I have some of these around my house!

t-tp-2549635-se-toilet-roll-ladybird-craft-activity-5-9_ver_1 (1)

I hope that you have a fantastic day and I will see you back here tomorrow.

Ms Payne

1. Hi Ms Payne

I hope you had a lovely weekend with your family. At the weekend, I got to see my grandparents and my auntie and uncle and we had a picnic together. We also had a BBQ and put bubble bath in our turtle paddling pool. On Father’s Day we went on a rainy walk and saw a waterfall which was lovely. We played lots of games with daddy and we made him some rocky road as a surprise.

Hope you have a great day,

Love Grace xx

2. Hi Grace
    It sounds like you have had a wonderful weekend! I’m sure that your daddy had a lovely fathers day and the rocky road surprise sounds lovely.
    See you soon
    Ms Payne

3. Hi Ms Payne,

I cannot wait to see what you have been making 🙂

I had a lovely weekend, I got to spend some time with my granny, we went to the park to feed the ducks and I also spotted a grey heron bird, it was so beautiful.

Yesterday we met grandma and grandad at Colinton tunnel, we walked through the tunnel looking at the art work then walked around spylaw park . We got caught in the rain so when we got home mummy and I made daddy a big hot chocolate.

Love Myla x

4. Hi Myla
    It sounds like you have had a wonderful weekend! We have a heron that lives in the valley trail near our house and we see it often. I have been hearing a lot about the Colinton tunnel so will need to take a trip to see it soon. I’m sorry that you got caught in the rain – that happened to Mr Payne and I on Saturday night – I got a nice cup of tea to warm me up!
    See you soon
    Ms Payne