Kirknewton Primary School

Monday 15.6.20 – Primary 1

Welcome to a new week Primary 1

I have had a very quiet weekend, pottering about my house and I am looking forward to a new week.  I hope that you had a fantastic weekend – If you would like to tell me anything, you could leave a comment in the box below and I will get back to you.

Mrs Dunlop has asked me to post a very special message for you from some of the Primary 7’s.

If you would like to contribute to Kirkie Catch Up please send any messages to the school office by Wednesday 17.6.20.

Here are your learning tasks for today:

Literacy:

• Bugclub – choose a book from bug club Activelearn – Complete the tasks on the front and back cover and discuss the story.
  • Oxford Owl –If you have completed all the Bugclub books please have a look at the Oxford Owl website. Here is a link to guidance (Oxford Owls) if needed.

___________________________________________________________________________

We are going to continue revising our “magic words”.  Here is a song to warm you up – can you read the words?

This week we will focus on the next 10 words:

at     be     this     have     from     or     one     had     by     word

(Parents/carers – Please ensure that the correct formation of a and i is used (please see sound books) – I am unable to change the font on the blog!)

You should all have a copy of these in your word purse’s but if not you can make new word cards from paper, card or stones.

Here are some tasks that you could do at home to help you learn these words:

(Parents/Carers – please do not feel that you have to do all of these tasks – just pick 1 or 2.  These tasks will be repeated in next week’s blog for the next set of words)

• Loose parts – find some small loose parts (stones, hama beads, buttons, lego, dried fruit/veg) and make each word.

• Magic word scavenger hunt – Look around your house, garden or on your walk to see if you can find any these words.  Remember they are used a lot so you might find them anywhere – on cereal packets, road signs, poster.

You could also make up a tally chart and see which word that you find the most!

• Quick writing – Set a timer and see how many times you can write the word without peeking
  • Finding in a text – Choose a book, comic, newspaper and if you can find our magic words in it.  How many times did you find that word?
  • Look, read, cover, write, check – look and read the word, cover it and write it in your home learning jotter, check to see if you got it correct.
  • Sentences – Select a word and use it in a written or oral sentence – You might manage to get more than one in a sentence.
  • Hide and Seek – asks an adult to hide the words around a room or garden – the adult then calls out the word for you to find.  You could turn it into a game and race another family member to find it and see who gets the most!

Numeracy:

Today we are going to learn more about fractions.  Do you know what a fraction is?  Talk to an adult or older sibling about your ideas.  Here is a story to help to remind you about fractions.

• What is a fraction?

A fraction means a part of something or a number of parts of something.   Today we are going to focus on finding halves.  You can show fractions in different ways:

Here are some fractions tasks that you could try at home:

• BBC bitesize website – Watch the clip and play the game on the bbc website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/z9sycdm/articles/zhmjy9q

• 1/2 of a shape – Have a look at this PowerPoint with an adult or older sibling.  You could also download and complete the accompanying worksheets –

t-n-7554-what-is-half-a-halving-shapes-powerpoint-english_ver_1

t-n-252473-is-it-half-activity-sheet_ver_3

T-N-2651A-Find-a-Half-Worksheet-Black-and-White

If you are unable to print, draw shapes in your home learning jotter and colour in half.  Or you could cut out some simple 2D shapes and fold them to make one half.

• 1/2 of a number – You know all about double numbers – did you know that you can find half of a number too?  Have a look at this powerpoint with an adult or older sibling and print and complete the accompanying worksheets:

ui2-m-59-halving-numbers-powerpoint-_ver_4

AU-N-200-Fractions-Halves-Activity-Sheet

If you are unable to print use some loose parts.  Put out an even number of objects – can you share out the objects into 2 equal sets?

• Some online games to try – Parents/carers please be aware that most of these games include quarters too so some some support will need to be given.

http://resources.hwb.wales.gov.uk/VTC/ngfl/ngfl-flash/fractions/fractions.html

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Flash.aspx?f=dartboarddoublesandhalves

http://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/fractionFresco/index.html

http://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/equivalence/index.html

Interdisciplinary:  This week we are going to learn about one of my favourite minibeasts – The Butterfly!

Some of you might remember that we had butterflies in the nursery a few years ago.

Did you know that the butterfly starts it’s life as a different minibeast?  Read through this powerpoint  and watch the clip below to find out about butterflies and their life cycle:

t-l-526348-the-cautious-caterpillar-life-cycle-of-a-butterfly-powerpoint-english_ver_2

Your task:  Create a butterfly factfile

Use the information from the fact cards or clip above and create your own butterfly factfile.  You could use the template provided minibeast-fact-file-template or make your own.

Other butterfly tasks:

• Butterfly hunt – Where is the best place to find a butterfly or caterpillar?  Draw or take a picture and write about it in your home learning jotter.
  • Life cycle of butterfly– Use the PowerPoint provided to complete the life cycle of a butterfly.

butterfly-life-cycle-cut-and-stick-activity-eco-black-and-white

• Parts of an butterfly–  Use the sheet provided to label a butterfly.  Or draw your own butterfly (you could use the instruction task below) and label using these words:

wing         antenna         head         thorax         abdomen

-label-the-parts-of-the-butterfly-activity-sheet_ver_1

• Butterfly activity sheets – If you are able you could print and complete these activity sheets.

-How-to-Draw-a-Butterfly-Activity-Sheet-Super-Eco-Black-and-White_ver_1

colour-the-shapes-butterfly-activity-sheet

Please remember that Mrs Brockbank will be setting your learning activities for the next two days.  If you need anything send a message to the school office and someone will get back to you.  I will be back here on Thursday and look forward to seeing you then!

Ms Payne

1. Hi Ms Payne

I had a very exciting weekend because we got a puppy! He is called Mylo and is a 9 week old black labrador. It was a big surprise because my mummy and daddy kept it secret. Mylo is cousins with Christopher S’s (from nursery) dog Jura. Mylo is helping me find lots of mini beasts but he likes to eat them! Yuk!

I was excited to see the video on fractions as my sister has been learning about them too.

I’m looking forward to seeing the video from the p7’s but it’s not working just now.

Love Natalie x

2. Hi Natalie
    What an exciting weekend you have had – I cannot wait to meet Mylo! I

3. Hi Ms Payne,

Good to hear you had a nice weekend 🙂

I can’t seem to get the link to work from Mrs Dunlop?

Thanks,

Myla xx

4. Hi, the special message video does not appear to be playing. Could this be reshared? Thank you

5. Hi P1, hope you all had a good weekend. I had a quiet relaxing weekend. I was in school today getting things ready for our new P1’s. It was nice as I got to see Ms Payne and so did Ellen and Grace. Lots of interesting and fun work from Ms Paynefor you all this week.
    Remember to get outside and enjoy the fresh air.
    Take care and I’ll see you all soon

Mrs Walkingshaw

6. Sorry all the link appears to be broken. If you would like to contribute to Kirkie catch up and share any news please contact the school office.