Kirknewton Primary School

Monday 8.6.20 – Primary 1

Good morning Primary 1 and welcome to another week.

I hope that you have all had a fantastic weekend.  This weekend I went for more walks with the dogs, went for another bike ride and helped Mr Payne to put a floor in our loft.  Have you done anything exciting that you would like to tell me about?  If you would like to you could let me know in the comments box below and I will get back to you!

Here are your learning tasks for today:

Literacy:  Reading

•  Bugclub – choose a book from bug club Activelearn – Complete the tasks on the front and back cover and discuss the story.
  • Oxford Owl –If you have completed all the Bugclub books please have a look at the Oxford Owl website. Here is a link to guidance (Oxford Owls) if needed.

___________________________________________________________________________

We are going to continue revising our “magic words”.  Here is a clip which has most of our magic words – can you read them?

This week we will focus on the next 10 words

he     was     for     on     are     as     with     his     they     I

(Parents/carers – Please ensure that the correct formation of a and i is used (please see sound books) – I am unable to change the font on the blog!)

You should all have a copy of these in your word purse’s but if not you can make new word cards from paper, card or stones.

Here are some tasks that you could do at home to help you learn these words:

(Parents/Carers – please do not feel that you have to do all of these tasks – just pick 1 or 2.  These tasks will be repeated in next week’s blog for the next set of words)

• Loose parts – find some small loose parts (stones, hama beads, buttons, lego, dried fruit/veg) and make each word.

• Magic word scavenger hunt – Look around your house, garden or on your walk to see if you can find any these words.  Remember they are used a lot so you might find them anywhere – on cereal packets, road signs, poster.

You could also make up a tally chart and see which word that you find the most!

• Quick writing – Set a timer and see how many times you can write the word without peeking
  • Finding in a text – Choose a book, comic, newspaper and if you can find our magic words in it.  How many times did you find that word?
  • Look, read, cover, write, check – look and read the word, cover it and write it in your home learning jotter, check to see if you got it correct.
  • Sentences – Select a word and use it in a written or oral sentence – You might manage to get more than one in a sentence.
  • Hide and Seek – asks an adult to hide the words around a room or garden – the adult then calls out the word for you to find.  You could turn it into a game and race another family member to find it and see who gets the most!

Numeracy:  Let’s start with a song to get us warmed up!

Today we are going to revise how to make equal groups.

You will need – Loose parts (counters, small lego parts, pasta, buttons), something to record your ideas – paper/home learning jotter and a pencil/pen

• Place out a collection of 10 counters (try to use 2 different colours/shapes of objects)
  • Mix up the counters and ask these questions.

What can you see? 

Can you make a pattern with the counters? Tell me about the pattern

Can you sort the counters? 

Tell me how you have sorted them?

• Emphasise the fact that the groups are equal – both have the same amount in them.
  • Repeat this for 6 lots of 3, 4 lots’s of 3, 3 lots of 4, etc.

Here are some optional tasks to help you practice at home:

Interdisciplinary:

It has been lovely to see all your fantastic learning about snails – here is some more wonderful work!

Today we are going to learn all about worms which I have been seeing a lot more of now that we’ve had some rain!  What do you know about worms? – Tell an adult or older sibling.

To help with today’s task please watch the clip below or read through these fact cards with an adult or older sibling:                            t-t-27817-all-about-earthworms-fact-cards-_ver_2 .

Your task:  Create a worm factfile

Use the information from the fact cards or clip above and create your own worm factfile.  You could use the template provided minibeast-fact-file-template or make your own.

Other worm tasks:

• Worm hunt – Where is the best place to find a worm?  Draw or take a picture and write about it in your home learning jotter.
  • Worm dance -Did you know that birds do a dance on the grass to make the worms think it’s raining and come to the surface?  Watch this very short clip to see how they do it:

Can you do your own worm dance? – Find a patch of grass and lightly stamp your feet for at least 1 minute – did you manage to get any worms to come up?

• Life cycle of worm – Use the poster provided to complete the life cycle of a worm.

Earthworm life cycle

t-tp-396-life-cycle-of-an-earthworm-display-poster-_ver_2

• Parts of an Earthworm – worms are quite hard to label as some of the words are quite tricky.  You can still try this if you would like to or try this task instead:

Parts of an Earthworm

Have a wonderful Monday and I will see you back here tomorrow.

Ms Payne

1. Good morning Ms Payne,

Sounds like you have had a busy weekend 🙂

I had a busy weekend too, I helped mummy plant some plants in the garden and yesterday I helped her paint the fence.

I found a little snail in the garden, I made it a little home and gave it some water and broccoli, I’ve named her daisy.

My beanstalk is growing so tall and it now has beans, I will send you a picture.

After school work today I am going to go out on my bike and maybe a nice walk.

I hope you have a nice day.

Love Myla x

2. Good Afternoon P1, Hope you all had a good week last week and a good weekend. Last week was my son’s birthday and also his girlfriends so it was a busy week. I had a quiet weekend just walking the dog and doing some gardening. Hope you are still enjoying our topic about mini beasts. Ms Payne has put some great learning on this blog again today so enjoy your learning. Enjoy looking for worms!!

Take care and I’ll see you soon
    Mrs Walkingshaw

3. Hi Myla
    Your weekend sounds wonderful. I’m glad that you made a home for Daisy the snail – does she like to eat broccoli? (Brian the tortoise LOVES broccoli!)
    I am so impressed by your photo of your beanstalk – I am going to share it on tomorrow’s blog so that everyone can see what happens when you take such good care of it!
    Have a lovely bike ride and I hope to see you soon!