Kirknewton Primary School

Friday 5.6.20 – Primary 1

Happy Friday Primary 1!

It has been lovely to hear how many people have enjoyed the snail tasks set this week and to see all your fantastic work – Thank you very much for sharing!

Here are your learning tasks for today:

Literacy:

Today is Free Writing Friday!

• Remember to do some free writing in the back of your home learning jotter.
  1. Find a quiet space to sit and write comfortably and safely.
  2. Set a timer or music to listen to (15 minutes can often be too long for Primary 1 – I would recommend 8 – 10 minutes).
  3. Sit quietly – Listen to music and draw what you would like.  It could be a picture of how you are feeling, something that you have learned about or that you are looking forward to.  Try to write some words or sentences about the picture that you have drawn.  Below is a link to an on-line snail racing timer that we have used in school (you are able to set the amount of time for this!) or a clip with some music that you could listen to when you write.

https://www.online-stopwatch.com/snail-racing-timer/

Or If you would like to try something different:

What is inside a snail’s shell?

Someone sent me this question and I have always wondered about it?  Snail’s spend a lot of time in their shell so they must be a really nice place to be!

Use your imagination – What do you think shells have inside them? – a bed, pictures on their wall, a TV?  Use your imagination and draw a picture in your home learning jotter and make a list of the things you think a snail might have inside their shell!

Mathematics and Interdisciplinary:

Last week we were learning all about 2D shapes and I saw some lovely pictures made by one of our class.   I have set a 2D shape task on Sumdog to help you practice and here is a clip to help to remind you of some of the different 2D shapes:

A few years ago I visited the Tate Modern Art Gallery and saw this picture.  I remember looking at all the colourful shapes and being amazed by how big it was!  Talk to an adult about what you see in the picture – What shapes can you see?  Do you see any patterns?  Can you guess the artwork’s name?

This artwork is called The Snail  and it’s made by an Artist called Henri Matisse.

Can you see a snail’s shell in the picture? There is also secret tiny snail hidden in the picture – can you see it?

The Snail is a collage made from pieces of brightly coloured paper.  If you would like to learn more about Henri Matisse please click on the link to this website:

https://www.tate.org.uk/kids/explore/who-is/who-henri-matisse

Here you will find more information about the artist, a video of children experiencing the paintings in the gallery and instructions of how to make your own snail painting.

Your task:  Create your own 2D snail like Henri Matisse. 

You will need:

• Brightly coloured paper, Scissors, Glue, Pencil, Music to create to (Henri Matisse often worked to music to help to inspire him!)

Draw and cut out lots of different colours and sizes of shapes – you could draw around different objects in your house if it helps.  Henri Matisse used mostly rectangles but you could use different shapes.  You might decided to use only circles or only triangles or use all the shapes.

Arrange the shapes to make a your own snail – remember to plan it out.  When you are happy with your picture glue it down.  Here are some examples from other children:

How many of each shape did you use?  Are you going to make a large snail like Henri Matisse or a smaller snail?

Finally I will end the week with a lovely story called “Matisse’s Magical Trail” by Tim Hopgood and Sam Boughton.  I hope that you enjoy it!

Have a fantastic weekend and I will be back here on Monday.

See you soon 

Ms Payne