Kirknewton Primary School

Monday 1.6.20 – Primary 1

Good morning Primary 1 and welcome to a new month!

I hope that you have enjoyed the beautiful weather that we have been having and have been outside as much as possible!   As the weather has been so hot and lovely I have spent much of my weekend outside enjoying my back garden.  The dogs were very hot so we bought them a paddling pool to help cool them down!  They were a bit scared at first but soon began to enjoy it.  I also went for a bike ride to see Mr Payne’s parents and made smores and a pizza!

I hope that you had a fantastic weekend too.  If you would like to tell me more about it please feel free to leave me a comment or send me a message and I will get back to you ASAP!

Here are today’s learning activities:

Literacy:  Reading

•  Bugclub – choose a book from bug club Activelearn – Complete the tasks on the front and back cover and discuss the story.
  • Oxford Owl –If you have completed all the Bugclub books please have a look at the Oxford Owl website. Here is a link to guidance (Oxford Owls) if needed.

_______________________________________________________________________________

This week we are going to focus on some of our “magic words”.  These magic words can be found in lots of different places. Some people call these tricky words because they cannot always be sounded out and can be difficult to spell – but I know this is not a problem for my Primary 1s!  Here is a clip that has most of our magic words – can you read them?

This week we will focus on the first 10 words

the      of      and      a      to      in       is      you      that      it

(Parents/carers – Please ensure that the correct formation of a and i is used (please see sound books) – I am unable to change the font on the blog!)

You should all have a copy of these in your word purse’s but if not you can make new word cards from paper, card or stones.

Some tasks that you could do to help you learn these words:

(Parents/Carers – please do not feel that you have to do all of these tasks – just pick 1 or 2.  I understand that many children would rather be outside at the moment so there are lots of active tasks as well as written if you prefer your child to do some independent work.  These tasks will be repeated in next week’s blog for the next set of words)

• Loose parts – find some small loose parts (stones, hama beads, buttons, lego, dried fruit/veg) and make each word.

• Magic word scavenger hunt – Look around your house, garden or on your walk to see if you can find any these words.  Remember they are used a lot so you might find them anywhere – on cereal packets, road signs, poster.

You could also make up a tally chart and see which word that you find the most!

• Quick writing – Set a timer and see how many times you can write the word without peeking
  • Finding in a text – Choose a book, comic, newspaper and if you can find our magic words in it.  How many times did you find that word?
  • Look, read, cover, write, check – look and read the word, cover it and write it in your home learning jotter, check to see if you got it correct.
  • Use the word in a sentence – Select a word and use it in a written or oral sentence – You might manage to get more than one in a sentence.
  • Hide and Seek – asks an adult to hide the words around a room or garden – the adult then calls out the word for you to find.  You could turn it into a game and race another family member to find it and see who gets the most!

Numeracy:

We have been learning about subitizing – There are so many different ways to show numbers – Here’s a clip to let you see this.

Knowing about all the different ways number can be shown helps us to subitize.

Here are some powerpoints that you could work through with an adult if you wish:

SPLAT-2.1-with-numbers-12-20-formatted-for-Google-Slides

t-n-2545764-numbers-1-ndash-18-subitising-maths-activity-powerpoint-english

Below are some optional activities to develop this skill at home:

Circles – Describing equal groups – 2 dots, 3 dots, 4 dots, 5 dots

Parents/Carers – The activities below will help to develop your child’s knowledge of counting in 2s, 3s and 5s and is a recap of an introduction to multiplication/division.  Please encourage the children not to touch and count each item but to count the dots in 2s, 3s and 5s 

You will need to print these cards 2 Dot Cards 3 Dot Cards, 4 Dot Cards and 5 Dot Cards or make your own cards with paper/card/lego blocks.  You could use loose parts (pasta, pebbles, buttons) to lay out the pattern.

1. Place out 4 four dot cards
  2. Here are some counters – what can you tell me about them?
  3. How many dots are on each card (or loose part set) ? (4)
  4. How many cards are there? (3)
  5. How many altogether? (12)

Repeat for different 2, 3, 4 and 5 dot patterns –just as last week

• Here are some online array activities

https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/arrayDisplay/index.html

https://www.scootle.edu.au/ec/viewing/L106/index.html#

________________________________________________________________________________

Triangles –  You will need to print theses 4 Grids6 Grids8 Grids  and 10 Grids flashcards or you can make your own if unable to print.

Flash (or make) a 4, 6, 8 or 10 grid pattern and ask the following questions:

1. How many squares did you see?
  2. How many dots did you see?
  3. How many empty spaces did you see?

e.g I see 10 squares.  I see 5 dots.  I see 5 empty spaces – 5 + 5 = 10

ALL – If you are able to print and would like some independent learning tasks try this subitizing game and worksheets:

ColorByNumberFreeSamplerDistanceLearning– 

Subitzing race

Interdisciplinary:  I am so glad that so many of you are enjoying learning about minibeasts and have letting me know about minibeasts that you found in your garden.

This week we are learning all about Snails. A few weeks ago one of our Primary 1 classmates found lots of snails in her garden and has given me some inspiration for some tasks that you might see through the week!  Below is a photograph of snail sculptures that can be found at New Lanark – I wonder if anyone has ever seen these.

I often find lots of snails in my garden and I think they are fascinating! Here is one that I found on Friday:

To help with today’s task please watch the clip below or read the powerpoint about Snails with a grown up or older sibling

T-Sc-270-Snails-PowerPoint-_ver_2

Your task:  Create a snail factfile

Use the information from the powerpoint or clip above and create your own Snail factfile.  You could use the template provided minibeast-fact-file-template or make your own.

Other snail tasks:

• Go on a snail hunt – where is the best place to find a snail?  Draw or take a picture and write about it in your home learning jotter.
  • Snail menu – now that you know what snails eat draw or write a menu that a snail might eat –

roi-sc-41a-the-snail-diner-menu-activity-black-and-white_ver_1

If you are unable to print draw your own picture of a snail.  Use these words to help you label the snail –

shell          eyes          foot          tentacles         trail

Don’t worry too much about creating your own snail – Unless you would really like to.  On Wednesday we will be doing some snail craft and other activities!

I hope that you have a fantastic day!

Ms Payne

1. hi Ms Payne
    i also did pizzas! we used naan breads!
    love charlotte!

2. Hi Charlotte
    I’ve never thought of using naan breads – what a great idea, I bet they tasted great! We were a bit lazy and got a pack sent to our house so we didn’t have to make anything up! See you soon!