Kirknewton Primary School

A little bit of mindfulness

Good day everyone, a bit of a change this weekend in regards to the wet and breezy weather. I hope the garden withstood the wind – some broken plants and branches with us. Outdoors is wonderful, it can make you feel calm, relaxed, it can make you excited discovering something new, it can give you room to be free to run, jump, use a loud voice. And looking through your Learner’s Journals have shown us how beautiful Kirknewton is outdoors. I love the waterfall and pond – seeing the swans swimming with their family of signets. I want someone to say where these are so we can all visit when we are able to do so and so much more. I love the excitement and daring of walking across fallen down tree trunks or running down hills. I keep thinking – ‘Don’t fall.’  And of course, you are very busy at home too –  doing lots of other marvellous activities – baking, swimming, tent building, role playing with dolls/teddies or including the family. Keep on posting as we enjoy looking and seeing what you are doing – it makes us feel connected.

For those of you who are finding this a difficult time – and who isn’t at this time. We came across a lovely little story called Everybody Worries by Jon Burgerman. In this bright and friendly picture book, children learn that it’s okay to worry about Coronavirus. Fun rhyming couplets keep the tone gentle and supportive, and you will find plenty of ideas for dealing with Coronavirus in a positive way.

https://en.calameo.com/read/000777721945cfe5bb9cc?authid=Xu9pcOzU3TQx

I have also come across Lisa Thomas Price. She is an outreach specialist with the Centre for Healthy Minds. She shares some movements for the young learners to promote well- being. I have tried some of these at home by myself and they very similar to some yoga techniques we do in nursery. They are fun and I found myself giggling occasionally which my family found ‘weird’ seeing me on the floor and by myself. Have a try and if nothing else it may put a smile or two on your or others face. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aEI8lb7coY

If you have ideas or further suggestions of your own, please pass on to us so we can share with others. Until next time, take care and look after yourselves.