Kirknewton Primary School

Book Bug is 10

The Scottish Book Trust are celebrating 10 years of Bookbug from Monday 18th May. They would like to invite everyone to celebrate with them as they hold special events such as a special draw -a-long with Debi Gliori from Monday to Friday where we can learn how to draw Bookbug and some very special friends in bitesize films. They will also have a very special film with Debi Gliori as she explains how she created Bookbug!

Sprog Rock have created an exclusive new song for the Bookbug app to celebrate Bookbug’s Birthday! This will be launching on Wednesday 20th in their popular midweek rhyme slot!

They have a special celebratory static Bookbug Session for families to try at home themselves on the website on Monday 18 and their new live with Paul Bookbug Session on Bookbug’s Facebook page for everyone to join in with on Friday 22 at 10am. Please tune in and sing happy birthday at the top of your voices.

Their home activities hub will be packed with even more themed ideas to try at home, from making a party hat to colouring in Bookbug.

All through the week they also have special competitions on their website (address below including birthday message from the First Minister) and social media, and they are asking for  families’ memories of your child’s Bookbug Bags and Bookbug Sessions with their wee ones. They’re also hoping little ones might make a birthday card for Bookbug, take a photo and share it with us and them! This could be added in parent contributions on your Online Learner’s Journal.

https://www.scottishbooktrust.com/reading-and-stories/bookbug/bookbugs-birthday-message

https://www.scottishbooktrust.com/reading-and-stories/bookbug/bookbug-is-10

Compost in a bottle

A  catch up with our compost in a bottle. I was surprised when I opened my bottle as it went PoP! So, my advice is to slowly open it as it is full of gas – rather like a dropped bottle of lemonade.

So far, only a little smell and lots of condensation inside the bottle – so decomposition is happening – slowly. It’s quite exciting to know there are micro organisms working hard to rot down our paper, leaves and peelings. In a large compost bin worms will be working hard to help do this job too. I’m always amazed how they get inside a bin… ummm. Perhaps you have an idea as to how they get inside I would love to know and maybe we could investigate together and see how they wriggle into a composter…

Competition Time–  The National Galleries of Scotland are running a competition and they are including families and nurseries as well as other categories. For our young children they are focusing on If I had a pet. There are some paintings to look at and then you answer some questions. Furthermore they would like you to draw or create your very own pet. This could be AnYtHiNg – go wild, go real, go crazy.  You could send your entry (when open) to the address provided or/and you could keep it until we return and then we can send them altogether as a nursery entry. Go on, be inspired and visit –

https://www.nationalgalleries.org/art-and-artists/features/national-galleries-scotland-art-competition-schools-and-families