Kirknewton Primary School

P2 11.05.20

Good Morning Primary 2!

Hello!! It’s Mrs Kendall here. How are you all today? Did you have a nice weekend? It was gorgeous weather on Saturday so we went for a cycle to Beecraigs Country Park. We found a stunt track that Robbie and Katherine had fun on. I was too scared to go on it though! Please share what you did at the weekend by leaving a comment for me. I love to hear what you have been up to.

Did any of you do anything special to celebrate VE day? I loved the leaflets that were sent in and that Miss Hunter showed on the blog on Friday. What a good idea to give them out to people in Kirknewton!

Today we are going to learn about Nouns. A noun is a special type of word. It is a naming word. Everything that you can see or touch is noun. Naomi Noun is going to help explain to you what a noun is. Have a look at the powerpoint below with an adult (click on the red words below, not the picture).

Nouns Powerpoint

Use your hands to pretend you have a camera. Now pretend to take pictures of some things around the house or garden (parents can give child their mobile phone to take some pics if they wish, then delete when done). Talk about all the things you have taken a picture of. These are all NOUNS!

Please complete this noun hunt below. You can use your cameras for people and things. If you can’t print the sheet just do it in your jotter.

Noun Hunt

Oranges and Apples

Please continue working through the Bug Club books this week. As said before, there are new books waiting for you all so keep reading and collecting books in ‘My Library’. https://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk/login?c=0

Have any of you had a chance to look at Oxford owls yet? I hope so! There are some fantastic books there for you to enjoy and to challenge you!!                               https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/

Struggling with grammar, punctuation or spelling? The Karate Cats are here to help! Here is a link to a game from BBC Bitesize which will help you improve your literacy skills. Have a go!!

BBC Games: Karate Cats

Bananas and Pears

I would also like you to continue reading your Bug Club books this week. Remember that once you finish the ones that are available, that means you are ready to begin a new level and I will allocate you more books. I hope that you are enjoying them. It’s great to see so many of you reading the books I have allocated and answering the questions correctly!

Here is a game for you that I think you will love. It’s called Poop Deck Pirates! You must click on the coin and read the word then choose whether it is a real word or a fake word. If it is real it goes into the treasure chest.

Choose 2 sounds from Phase 3…….you choose, then you can try it again choosing two different sounds.

https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/poopDeck/

We are all going to start with a Jack Hartman video to get us moving and thinking. Today we are counting backwards from 100 by 1’s. Shout out the numbers as you count backwards!

Triangles: 

• You parents must choose a random number between 1 and 100.  Count backwards from that number until your parents shout STOP!!! Try this a few times. Think carefully as you count past a decade number!
  • Now I would like you to think of numbers BEFORE and AFTER  a given number. Parents choose a number between 1 and 100. Child to say number Before or after. Try a lots of times.

Here are some reinforcement worksheets to print off if you wish to do some consolidation. Please do it  in the blue jotter if easier.

Before and After 1              before and after 2                 before and after 3

Circles

This was posted last week but I would like to revise it again for those who  may not have done it or need consolidation. There is an extension task included at the end for this week.

Here is a power point which will remind you of what an array is. We spent some time looking at arrays in school so you should remember quickly!

Amazing Arrays PP

Please use the counters on the link below to make arrays for some of the following numbers:

15         21         16       12          30         8

Link to Coloured counters

Use the link above for the next task.

• Parents, show one row of an array of 20 (4×5) eg. 4 (dots from above link). Decide how many columns will be needed.  Ask the child eg. There are 5 columns. How many dots altogether? Please encourage them to skip count when figuring out the answer where possible.The child can check by placing out the array. Repeat for 4×2, 4×3, 6×5 and so on.

Further Extension for this week

• Try the opposite way, Say There are 20 dots altogether, show one row of 4. Ask the child How Many Columns are there? Do similar other arrays (12(6×2), 18(8×3), 12(3×4) and so on).

Today’s game for everyone is a roll the dice game. You can choose if you want to add, take-away or multiply.

Roll the Dice Game

SCIENCE

Today we are thinking about Dissolving. When something dissolves, it disappears in water to make a solution. These substances are called soluble substances. Substances that don’t dissolve in water are called insoluble substances. This video below explains everything!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zcvv4wx/articles/zpbdpbk

Today I would like you to do some little experiments. Find some substances from your kitchen and put them in warm water. Do they dissolve?

Record your findings in your jotter under the headings Soluble and Insoluble

That’s all for me today. There is plenty for you to be getting on with! Remember, do as much or as little as you feel necessary. I thought you’d like this picture of a little red squirrel in Spring. Take care everyone and have a lovely day.

Mrs Kendall

1. Hi Mrs Kendall,

I had a lovely weekend and we celebrated VE day but doing a minute silence and also had nibbles in the front garden at 6pm. We played music too. I was surprised to see snow yesterday but glad to see the sun is back today.

See you soon,
    Thomas 🙂

2. I love Karate Cats! 🐈

3. Hi Mrs Kendall,
    I had a lot of fun at the weekend. We baked a lemon cake for VE Day. On Saturday night we put up our tent and camped in the garden. We toasted marshmallows. I slept really well. I shared the tent with Holly and dad slept outside in his bivvy bag as we only have a small tent. I would like to ask for a bigger tent for my birthday so we can all sleep in the tent. On Sunday I went for a long bike ride with my dog Kip. I also spoke to my family on FaceTime and Zoom. from Jamie

4. Hi Thomas,
    Lovely to hear from you. I loved the picture that you sent in of you wearing your school uniform doing the clap for carers. It was so nice to see you looking so happy. I’m glad that you enjoyed VE day. It is a very important day to remember. It sounds like it was a lot of fun in your street. I hope you have enjoyed today’s blog. Take care,

Mrs Kendall

5. Hi Samuel,
    That’s great that you love Karate Cats!! I thought that some of you would love it, though some of the questions begin to get a bit tricky as you get towards blue belt. Have you collected some items? I have a scratchy cat, a cat on a ball of wool, kittens on a wheel and an exercising cat that is drinking milk!

Keep up the good work Samuel.
    Mrs Kendall

6. Hi Mrs Kendall
    We have been playing with our Cutetitos. Their names are Catherine the Cat and Eva the Elephant. We are going to get 2 baby and 2 big Cuteitos. We use popcorn kernels as their food. The baby ones come in tacos and the big ones come in tortillas. We went on a walk with our Cutetitos and Daddy. They had lots of fun. We made a banana loaf and banana cupcakes. They were yummy. The whole house smelt like banana bread. We miss you and all of our friends lots.

7. Hi Mrs Kendall

Today I have really enjoyed doing a little science experiment. I am trying to see if I can dissolve an egg shell off a normal egg that isn’t boiled. We have it sitting in vinegar and so far it is working. We also began to get ready for sports day I have picked the 8 things that I want to do and we have looked out all the equipment we will need and had a little practise.

Ellis x

8. Hi Jamie,
    Lovely to hear from you. I hope you enjoyed celebrating VE day. It’s such an important day to remember. I bet your lemon cake tasted delicious! Saturday was a beautiful day and perfect for camping out at night. Sounds like you had lots of fun! Your poor dad stuck outside in a bivvy bag! I think a bigger tent sounds like a good idea. My children love toasting marshmallows when we go camping too. We enjoyed a long bike ride at the weekend too. We have been very lucky with the weather since lockdown started. I hope you enjoyed doing some of the activities from the blog today.

Mrs Kendall

9. Hi Isla and Freya,
    Lovely to hear from you! What are Cutetitos? They sound very interesting. I’ll need to google them to have a look. Sounds like something my daughter would enjoy playing with! I’m glad to hear that you have been baking again. I love banana loaf. I’m missing all the children in Primary 2. I can’t believe over 6 weeks have passed since I saw you all. It’s lovely to get your photographs and messages though and I look forward to seeing you again soon. Take care girls,

Mrs Kendall

10. Hi Ellis,
    Lovely to hear from you. I am so glad to hear that you are trying an experiment to show something dissolving, Please, let me know how you get on with your egg and vinegar experiment. I am very interested in the result. A photo would be good too if you have one. Sports day on Wednesday will be good fun! Let’s hope the weather stays dry and you can get outside. I’m glad you are getting organised now. I’ll remind all the other children about it tomorrow. I’m missing you all and so pleased hearing from you and receiving your pictures. Thank you.

From Mrs Kendall