Kirknewton Primary School

Monday 11.5.20 – Primary 1

Good morning Primary 1 – I hope that you all had a wonderful weekend.  If you would like to tell me more about it please leave a comment in the box below and I will get back to you!  Thank you to so many of you for asking how my family and I are.  We are all safe and well and keeping ourselves busy!

Here are your learning tasks for today:

Literacy:  Reading

•  Bugclub – choose a book from bug club Activelearn – Complete the tasks on the front and back cover and discuss the story.
  • Oxford Owl – I have noticed that some children were close to or have completed all of the books allocated for them in Bugclub.  I will not be issuing any new books here at this stage, however the school now has access to the OxfordOwl website.  Information was sent out through groupcall on Monday but here is a link to guidance (Oxford Owls) to help you get started.

Parents/carers – Please note that this is an optional task to be completed when or if you choose to do so.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Reading is a very important thing to learn about!

It can be very exciting to get new books and it is important to understand what we are reading about- this is called reading comprehension.  Did you know that you don’t always have to show your understanding through writing – You can do it by drawing too.

Your task:  Drawing my description

Read or ask an adult to help you read the sentences below.  Draw the character  described in your home learning jotter.

It is green.

It has one big eye.

It has sharp teeth.

It has two feelers.

It has five small feet.

Click here – read and draw description – to see a picture of the character that I was describing.  Does it look like your character – don’t cheat and look first!

Optional Challenge – Do you think my description was good?  Could you make it better?  What other sentences would you add?

Printable’s:

• Here are some read and draw tasks for you to print out and try at home – Please do not feel that you need to do all of them!

Blue and yellow literacy group –  read and draw yellow.blue

Green literacy group – read and draw green group

Purple literacy group – read and draw cvc purple group

Online games –

Parents/carers – please allow your child to sound out some of the more simple words but do not worry if they find this tricky!  These games have been provided to help develop your child’s understanding and comprehension not their ability to sound out.

Numeracy:

We have been learning about subitizing – Subitizing is a way to recognise number amounts quickly and to look for patterns.  This helps to develop counting, addition, subtraction and even multiplication and division skills!

Below are some optional activities to develop this skill at home:

Circles – Describing equal groups.

Parents/Carers – The activities below will help to develop your child’s knowledge of counting in 2s and 5s and is a recap of an introduction to multiplication/division.  Please encourage the children not to touch and count each item but to count the dots in 2’s 

You will need to print these cards 2 Dot Cards and 5 Dot Cards or make your own cards with paper/card/lego blocks.  You could use loose parts (pasta, pebbles, buttons) to lay out the pattern.

1. Place out three 5 dot cards
  2. Here are some counters – what can you tell me about them?
  3. How many dots are on each card (or loose part set) ? (5)
  4. How many cards are there? (3)
  5. How many altogether? (15)

Repeat for different 2 and 5 dot patterns – don’t worry if it’s a bit tricky – this is just to introduce us to this concept and this will be revisited throughout your time at school.

• Here are some online games to help you count in 2’s and 5s.

https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/duckShoot/index.html

https://www.abcya.com/games/adventure_man_counting

https://www.splashlearn.com/math-skills/second-grade/number-sense/count-by-5-s

https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/arrayDisplay/index.html

__________________________________________________________________

Triangles –  You will need to print theses 4 Grids and 6 Grids flashcards or you can make your own if unable to print.

Flash (or make) a 4 or 6 grid pattern and ask the following questions:

1. How many squares did you see?
  2. How many dots did you see?
  3. How many empty spaces did you see?

Interdisciplinary:

I received this email from Smokey this morning:  Email from Smokey (6) -Creating Fairytale character

Smokey is very happy with us for helping Fairyland so much and has set us a final challenge –

To create our own Fairyland character

Here is a PowerPoint for you to help you think of some of the different Fairytale characters.  You will need to ask an adult or older sibling to read this to you.

Or you could watch the clip below to give you some ideas:

Today’s task:

Design and create a character that could live in Fairyland.  This could be a person, animal or creature – a traditional character or something more unusual.  It’s your choice.

You could make a drawing, painting, 3D model or dress up- anything that you want – be creative!  Please choose some wow words to describe your character and write some sentences about them in your jotter.

I cannot wait to see who is going to move into Fairyland!

Parents/Carers – If possible – please send a picture of your child’s character to the school email address – I would love to share these here!  If you do not want your child’s character shared on the blog please indicate so on the email.

Have fun and I hope to hear from you soon!

Ms Payne

1. Morning Ms Payne,

Good to hear you and your family are all keeping safe and well.

Just logged in to ActiveLearn and can see all the phonics assessments, however I can only see one book, is this because we have read them all or has something gone wrong?

Love Myla x

2. Hi Myla
    I’m not sure why you can only see one book but I will look into it and ask the other teachers for some help. Please look at some of the Oxford Owl resources in the meantime and I will get back to you ASAP.
    See you soon

3. Hi Ms Payne,

It’s no problem as plenty to read from the Oxford Owl, however thanks for looking into it.

Love Myla x

4. Hi Ms Payne

We tried to get into Oxford Owl today but it’s not working. It’s saying the user name & password are incorrect. We’ll try again later.

5. Hi Natalie
    I’m sorry that it did not work for you but I think trying again later would be a good idea. I have heard that some other schools have had problems logging and it might be because the site is very busy just now. Let me know how you get on.
    Hope you are well.
    See you soon.

6. We’ve managed it now. It must have just been busy. Thank you.

7. Well done Natalie – I hope that you enjoy the new books!