Kirknewton Primary School

P2 7.5.20

Hello P2, I hope you are all having a good week.   We have been enjoying the sunshine!  We went for a big walk in the Pentlands. Lucy and Alice got a bird watching set with some binoculars from their papa and we had fun looking at birds through them.  We saw a buzzard and heard a woodpecker in the woods but we couldn’t see it.  We made a bird feeder for the garden out of lollipop sticks. Here is a picture of it.  Maybe you could try to make a bird feeder for your garden if you have time.  We also went for a walk to the pond to look for frogs and tadpoles.  Let me know if you see anything interesting in nature when you are out and about!

Here are today’s learning tasks:

I have chosen this week’s story to tie in with our new Building Resilience topic – Make a Difference.  The story is called Greta and the Giants by Zoe Tucker. You can listen to it by following this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebJUMQmYWPM

Today’s writing task is to make a leaflet about how to look after the environment. In your leaflet you must include:

• Front cover with a picture and a title e.g. Looking after the World
  • What the problem is (global warming, pollution)
  • Ways to solve it (reduce, reuse, recycle)
  • Relevant illustrations
  • Don’t forget to use headings and write in sentences.
  • You can use the template provided below or if you do not have access to a printer please use a sheet of A4 paper and fold it into three sections.

T-T-12292-Leaflet-Template

Last week’s assembly on Make A Difference should help you to think of some ideas.

Use this poster to help you have remember the important things to iclude in your leaflet.

T2-E-256-Posters-And-Leaflets-Need-Display-Poster_ver_

Maths

This week we will be learning more about measurememt.  Can you think of different equipment you have in your houses to measure things with? We will be practising using a ruler to measure.  Work through this powerpoint with a grown up before you start your tasks.

t-c-8108-measuring-length-how-to-use-a-ruler-powerpoint-_ver_7

Here are some tasks to complete.  If you don’t have a printer then draw the lines in your jotter with your ruler.

T-T-2547306-Measure-a-Line-Activity-Sheet_ver_2

Challenge! (optional)

Choose one or two of these challenges to complete – choose the ones that interest you most or are easiest for you to do at home.  We can do more next week!

T-HE-032-Measuring-Length-Challenge-Cards_ver_2

Health and Wellbeing

In last week’s assembly with Mrs Murphy, we learnt about ways that we can Make a difference.

Here are the key messages:

Things humans do have an impact on the world

Children can contribute to solving problems in the world

Small things can make a meaningful difference

Thanks to those of you who have shared your ideas already with me.  If you have time today, chat to a grown up about your ideas for how you could make a difference.  You might want to take on the Make a Difference Home Challenge (you may need to adapt it to suit our current situation!) and again this is entirely optional.

Here are some things to help you:

Make-a-Difference-Parent-and-Carer-Leaflet1

Make-a-Difference-Home-Activity1

Have a good day and remember I’m here if anyone needs any help! As always I love seeing all the photos of your learning, if and when you have time to send them to me.

1. Hi Miss Hunter. I love the bird feeder Lucy and Alice made. Struan and I found a baby bird last week which we found out is called a nestling. It had fallen from it’s nest and needed help. We gently put it into a box with some tissue to keep it warm and someone came to put it in an incubator until it gets strong enough to fly.

I like the measurement tasks we have today. I hope you are having a nice day.

Love Anna xx

2. Hi Anna,
    I love that you rescued a baby bird. My girls will love hearing about that! I’m glad you enjoyed the measurement tasks too. Here is oneyou can help Struan with – collect sticks on your walks and line them up on the ground in order from smallest to tallest. You can help show him how to measure them against each other.
    I miss your wee face,
    Miss H