Kirknewton Primary School

Thursday 30.4.20 – Primary 1

Good morning Primary 1.

I am so sorry about your Sumdog challenge from yesterday – I had set it to launch at 9.30 pm not in the morning – oops – I have sorted it now!  I hope that you all had a good day yesterday.  It was lovely to see some more Gingerbread houses and even some maps – thank you for all the photos that have been sent.  It’s great to see you working so hard at home, some of you are even getting your brothers and sisters involved!

Here are your learning activities for today:

Literacy:  This week we are learning about the sounds sh, ch, th and wh words

Suggested Activities – Please do not try to do all these tasks!  I have tried to provide a variety of written and active tasks – just do what you can!

Here are some wh words that you could use (or can you think of your own):

wh-a-t      wh-e-n     wh-e-r-e      wh-y     wh-o      wh-a-m      wh-i-zz     

wh-i-p      wh-y      wh-i-ch      wh-i-s-k      wh-a-ck      wh-ee-l,

• wh question walk– On your daily walk or on a walk around your house try to use all the wh questions – remember to say the whole sentence?
  • Complete an activity from your spelling/phonics wall (in your learning pack)
  • Look, Cover, Write, Check – Select some words – look at it,cover it up, write it, then check to see if you are right!
  • Dictation – Please see activities below relating to your child’s literacy group:

Blue/Yellow groups – Ask an adult to tell you a wh sentence:

e.g. What is on that white ship?

Can you write the sentence, remembering your capital letters, finger spaces and full stops?

Green Group – Ask an adult to say some wh words – can you write them down by yourself?

Purple Group – Ask an adult to say a sound that we have learned – can you write the sound?  Use your sound cards to build some simple words together (t-a-p, g-a-p, l-a-p)

Numeracy:  We are going to continue to learn about doubles and near doubles.

Here are some doubles and near doubles tasks to try at home:

• Get a set of dominoes.  If you don’t have any you can print off a copy domino cards  here or make your own.

1. Mix all the dominoes and lie them face down.
  2. Have 3 bowls or hoops – 1 for doubles, 1 for near doubles and one for dominoes that are not doubles and near doubles.
  3. Turn over each domino – which bowl does it go into?  Can you say how many dots are there without touching and counting?  How do you know – What strategy did you use?
  • Play the double down game.  All you need is a set of dice, a pencil and a recording sheet.  Instructions can be viewed and/or printed below.

DoubleDownNearDoublesGame

• Try this doubles and near doubles worksheet There are also lots of printable worksheets in last Thursday’s post.  If you are unable to print – ask an adult to say some doubles and near doubles – can you work these out quickly or write them in your homelearning jotter.

• Print out, colour and match these doubles and near doubles cards

t-n-654b-doubling-matching-activity-black-and-white

• Here are some online doubles games :

http://www.maths-games.org/ladybird-doubles.html

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button

Health and Wellbeing:

• Here is a link to our new “Building Resilience” launch assembly with Mrs Murphy:

Here is a link to Joshua’s Story as mentioned in the assembly:

• Your task – What can you do to make a difference to others?

Luckily we had a chance to think about that last week when we learned about Earth Day.  I was going to save water by turning the water off when brushing my teeth and I have managed to do that for a whole week.  I am going to continue  to do this but also save energy by making sure to turn off lights when they are not needed.

What could you do to make a difference?  Write your ideas in the comments box below or  in your home learning jotter. Here is a poster that Miss Hunter shared with P2 last week.  It will give you a few easy ideas.

PE

• Last week Mrs Simpson posted some great ideas for PE at home – Here is the link again if you would like to try some of these:

Early Level Home P.E. Learning

• I have had lots of pictures showing me your beanstalks grown from the magic beans we received in class.  Here is a game that you can play at home all about the different types of magic beans.

Magic-Beans

I hope that you have a wonderful day.

See you soon

Ms Payne

1. Hi Ms Payne
    I hope you are having a good day. Today I have been helping my sister with her measurement homework. We have been filling measuring jugs with water and using a measuring tape.
    My favourite task today has been the bean game. It has been so much fun and I’ve made up some new movements. There is the dancing bean, the dog bean (dog yoga pose) and the poo bean (Joe Wick squats)!
    Lots of love Natalie

2. Hi Natalie
    Good for you for helping your big sister – you are helping each other to learn! Thank you for trying out the bean game – I love your new bean moves – very creative!
    See you soon

3. Hi Ms Payne,
    I have had a very busy week doing lots of the activities you have set on the blog. My favourite one was the gingerbread man story. I have worked really hard with mum to make a gingerbread house for Hansel and Gretel. I hope you like the photos I sent you.
    Love Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    PS I hope albus and jasper are ok and that everyone in fairyland is keeping safe xx

4. Hi Lily
    I’m so glad that you have been working hard – what a star you are! I love seeing the photos of all your creative learning. Albus and Jasper are both fine and enjoying having me here – they even came to our staff meeting earlier! Smokey the dragon and I are in touch regularly and he tells me that Fairyland is nearly back to normal – he’s so happy that we continued to help rebuild it even though we’re not in our school building!
    See you soon