Kirknewton Primary School

June 29, 2016
by Ms Anderson
0 comments

Session 2016/17 Update

Please see attached an update regarding the start of next session.

Update from Kirknewton Headteacher Eileen Brown

I would like to thank all our pupil, parents and staff for meeting the challenges that we have faced over the last 18 months, since it was announced that our school was to close temporarily. We really appreciate all the comments of support and thanks that we have received from you.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank East Calder Primary School who have accommodated us in their school and have worked with us to ensure that pupils from both school have had a positive experience.

June 19, 2016
by Miss Hocking
1 Comment

P4 Rio Olympics 2016

Canadian flag

Mrs Brown has been giving all the classes in school a task linked to the Olympics. Our class was chosen to represent Canada.

Task 1 was to find out the capital city of¬† Canada.¬† Task 2 was to find out 5 interesting facts about Canada. Task 3 was to create a song for the Olympics. Our song was a melody of Queen¬†tunes and ” I’ll be coming round the mountain” using ideas from the children. Our song was very jolly and everyone who heard us perform it¬† enjoyed it. Our next task is to create a banner depicting Canada.

Song words. Please feel free to sing along with your child ( if they haven’t made you join in already!) just click to get the link.

We are Canadians my friend.

Charlotte’s web.

We have finally finished our class novel and there was not a dry eye in the house! We have been comparing the 1973 cartoon with the book and noting differences. The level of discussion throughout this book has been …..

charlottes-web

In technology we had a go at making 3D dragonflies. On Monday we will write an evaluation of our models.

Last homework and spelling test this week. I am looking forward to your Summer survival tips for me. Keep working hard P4, we are nearly there!

Miss Hocking.

June 17, 2016
by Ms Payne

Primary 2 WB: 13.6.16

This week in maths we learned all about 2D shapes.  We looked at the number of sides and corners and tried to find them in the classroom.DSCN0447 DSCN0450 DSCN0449 DSCN0445We made our own patterns and created pictures using the 2D shapes.

Annabelle – My favourite shape is a circle. It has one edge and no corners.

Josh Р2D shapes are flat and you can touch them.  

Evan РWe learned about hexagons.  They have 6 sides and 6 corners.  We looked for hexagons in our classroom and found pencils and the egg timerDSCN0441 DSCN0442 DSCN0443 DSCN0444In Literacy we learned about speech bubbles and speech marks.  We looked at different characters and thought about what they might say.  We then wrote sentences about the speech bubbles using the correct punctuation.  DSCN0437 DSCN0438 DSCN0439 DSCN0440

This week in our topic we learned all about rain.  We learned some songs and poems and thought about the good and bad things about rain.  We took advantage of the terrible weather and went outside to do some rain art.  We had to use the rain and wind to move the paints to make a picture and learned all about mixing colours.  We had lots of fun and got VERY messy!

DSCN0436 DSCN0435 DSCN0434 DSCN0433 DSCN0429 DSCN0430 DSCN0431 DSCN0432 DSCN0428 DSCN0427

DSCN0425Rory РWe put the paintings in the puddles and the puddles got all colourful. Then used paintbrushes to mix all the paints together.

Ruairidh – I loved when we were putting the pictures in the puddles.

Sophie – I liked dipping the picture in the puddle.

June 15, 2016
by Mrs Griffiths
1 Comment

Magic in the Nursery 15th June 2016

P6150006 P6150009 P6150010 P6150011 P6150012

Today we had a visit from Douglas the Clown. He wowed us with his amazing magic tricks!

Lexie – “I liked the bunny. Her name was Snowdrop.”

Oliver – “I liked the funny noses.”

Callum – “I liked the magic colours.”

Ruairidh – “The coloured wands were so funny!”

Isla – “I loved the washing machine trick.”

Harry – “The magic wand made stuff go away.”

June 14, 2016
by Mr Buckley
1 Comment

P6 Digital Learning Week 6/16

P6 had great fun during Digital Learning Week. ¬†We a) Made movie trailers using the iPads, b) Created 16×16 icons (icns files) and c) Created spiral artwork which was then digitised and rotated whilst also being set to music. Unfortunately there is a 50mb limit to our unload so these can not be shared.

IMG_0711 IMG_0715 IMG_0707 IMG_0718 IMG_0717 IMG_0691 IMG_0698 IMG_0679 IMG_0708

June 14, 2016
by Mr Buckley
1 Comment

P6 Cross Country Success 6/16

P6 were entered in to the cluster P6 cross country festival. ¬†Although many people were apprehensive at first, we trained weekly on the approach to the event. ¬†Everyone was very pleased with their own personal improved performance –¬†especially Matthew Green who achieved 3rd place in the boys’ event. ¬†Well done to you all. ¬†A proud moment.

IMG_0780 IMG_0781

June 10, 2016
by Ms Payne

Primary 2 WB: 6.6.16

DSCN0410 DSCN0411

In maths we have been continuing to use the SEAL mathematics approaches to develop our problem solving strategies.

DSCN0412 DSCN0413We have been playing lots of games to help us with missing number sums and adding 3 numbers.DSCN0423DSCN0422

Josh – I liked the spinner one where you had to add the 3 numbers together.

Lewis РI liked playing number headbands.  We found out the total of the cards and had to work out the number on our head.

Kayley – I liked rolling the 3 dice because you get to add and it helps you with maths.

In writing we used a picture stimulus to write an imaginative story.¬† We also read our stories to each other and peer assessed our writing.DSCN0414DSCN0415Holly – I liked reading Katy’s story. ¬†She had lots of wow words (Vocabulary) in her story.

Sean – I read Lewis S’s story. ¬†He had punctuation like full stops and everything.

Lewis G – I read Rory’s story. ¬†He had a good ending to his story.

DSCN0416 DSCN0417

In Literacy we recapped our learning of antonyms and began to learn about synonyms.  We put some boring words in word jails and used thesaurus’ to find more interesting words.  DSCN0420 DSCN0421

We also had an another exciting week.  We visited the Primary 7 bake sale and were amazed by the different cakes.

DSCN0418DSCN0419We also had a visit from Badger the Mystical Mutt.

Luke – He was really funny because he kept shaking his bottom!

Lochlan – He was funny because he kept stealing the maracas.

Payton – The story was good and it had lots of information about Badger, Hamish and their friends.