Kirknewton Primary School

November 19, 2020
by Miss Hocking
1 Comment

P2 book week

P2 watched authors live “Cakes in Space”   a story about killer cakes in space that have mutated over hundreds of years and are floating around in zero gravity. The children listened to an extract from the story and listened to the authors and illustrators answering questions. The illustrator then led a drawing tutorial on how to draw the robot a character in the story.

Continuing with the space theme we looked at one of our gift book bags called “Rocket Mole”  .The class joined in the reading as much as possible, predicting what might happen next in each part of the story. They then recreated the front cover of the book.

We watched a clip on zero gravity and then the children worked in pairs to complete a science activity on the force of gravity.

We have completed ERIC ( enjoy reading in class) each day as usual completing the First minister’s reading passport and  listening to audio stories.

Linking to our ability/ equalities programme we have been reading books on autism.

Mrs Gordon also read us “the very hungry caterpillar “in French.

The children created Character selfies and took part in a book scavenger hunt where they had to find objects or places in different books teaching them how to find information. They had wee blethers about their favourite books and characters too.

During Free writing Friday the children will be using their story cubes from their  “Read, write and count” gift bags to write a story.

November 16, 2020
by Miss Lewis

Children in Need 2020: P4

The last 2 weeks P4 have been planning for Children in Need 2020. They have been busy making posters and decorations for the big day.  

P4 planned to have a dress down day with a pyjama or Pudsey theme.  Everyone looked great and very relaxed in their onesies! P4 also organised a ‘guess the house points in the jar’ competition. Well done to the winner who won a Pudsey teddy. His guess was the closest with 860 (the answer being 843).

Today P4 worked together to count all the money, we raised at total of £236.64! We all had lots of fun fundraising for and celebrating a great cause! Amazing job P4! 

Oscar: We have been donating money for people who don’t have as much as we do.  

Ollie: We have been making posters to fundraise for Children in Need.  

Ru: We have been making decorations and posters. We put them up around the school.   

Bearice: It is important we help children in need because some might not have homes and food. We should be thankful for everything we have.  

P1 Update 30.10.20

October 30, 2020 by Miss Huxley | 1 Comment

In our first full week back after the holidays we have been working very hard!

This week Primary One have worked hard to build on our number skills. We have been subitizing (recognising the number of items in a group without having to count), counting items in a group, counting backwards and copying auditory patterns.

Halloween

We discussed how different countries  celebrate Halloween. We know that in Scotland children go ‘guising’ (usually). We spoke about the history of halloween and different traditions.

We worked together to cut open and take the inside out of a pumpkin. We also designed a face for a pumpkin to be craved on by an adult.

Interdisciplinary Learning

Our interdisciplinary topic took a ‘spooky’ turn this week and we learned all about skeletons.

We used pasta and glue to make a human skeleton; trying to include bones such as; ribs, skull, jaw and pelvis.

We enjoyed dancing and listening to a song all about our skeletons. Have a listen at home: youtube.com/watch?v=Jpvuqj5nv6U

Happy Halloween!

October 30, 2020
by Miss Hocking
1 Comment

P2 Halloween

I spent a lovely morning with all my P2 children in disguise! They all looked fantastic !
In free writing Friday the children listened to Halloween music whilst listening to Spooky music. The children had to put bones together and make a skeleton. We also watched a video from Glasgow science centre all about the importance of snot in protecting us from germs. We made our own pretend snot then caught it in a tissue , binned it and washed our hands.

October 30, 2020
by Miss Hocking
1 Comment

Primary 2 October 29th Science, technology, engineering, maths. (STEM)

The children were asked to undertake a STEM task linked to the story book ” Tyrannosaurus drip” by Julia Donaldson. They were asked to make a bridge so the T -Rex dinosaurs could cross the “rushy river” safely. Their bridge would have to hold 4 dinosaurs. We looked at photos of bridges, discussed previous learning and linked to our 2D and 3D shape project. The children had to think about their design for example.

• Think about the bridge’s span.
  • Do you need to reinforce something to make it stronger?
  • The bridge’s beam, or the horizontal part of the bridge, needs to be strong and able to hold a lot of weight.
  • Just one layer of bricks/ card won’t be very strong or hold much weight.

Here are some of the children’s comments about their bridges.

We made a good bridge lollipop sticks made it safe and triangle shapes made it even better. E.

I learned the wooden blocks need to be thick. I could walk across my bridge. E

We folded the card and taped it and the paper was making the bridge better- stronger. A

I fitted 26 dinosaurs on. We put cups in the middle. We folded the paper and it was strong. We could not even cut it. L

I learned , stick things down so your bridge doesn’t blow away! M

If your dinosaur is heavy your bridge won’t stay up. H

The bigger the better. E

I learned to use strong stuff ( materials). S

I managed to build 3 successful bridges from paper, Lego and bricks. I used supports and triangle shapes. N

Mrs Turner has also been taking small groups of 6 children for outdoor learning and studying mini beasts. She will be working with the children for the next 2 weeks.

October 30, 2020
by Miss Hocking

P2 First Minister’s Reading Challenge.

Every day Primary 2 and myself   read for enjoyment in class (ERIC) . Today we watched watched authors live for story time. The Julia Donaldson story ” Room on the broom” had been translated into Scots especially for Halloween. There were some great words particularly the Scots word for the frog! The author Lari Don was interviewed and she talked about her memories of guising. Lari Don has visited Kirknewton Primary and I will be reading her picture book adaptation of Tam Lin to P2 tomorrow.

October 26, 2020
by Miss Hocking
1 Comment

Outdoor learning

Outdoor learning has always been  a focus at Kirknewton Primary. As the weather turns colder we will continue to go outside for various lessons. Below is a useful guide for parents and carers on the appropriate clothing for different weathers and temperatures. I hope you find it helpful. Thank you to the Muddy Puddle Teacher.

October 23, 2020
by Miss Hocking

23rd October P2

Although a short week the primary 2 children have been very busy reading.  Every day we have been reading for pleasure during ERIC time (Enjoy Reading In Class) The class have been split into half. 1 half have been reading “Man on the moon” and the others have been reading “Tyrannosaurus Drip”. There have been lots of moon and dinosaur related activities.  The children have been voting on what book they would like at story time and also they love our new blue tooth listening centre which allows them to move around the room. In maths we have started looking at 2D and 3D shape properties. In numeracy we have begun subitising numbers to 20 and looking at addition and subtraction to 20..

I discussed with the class what interdisciplinary learning they would like to do this term and they wanted a topic  which included Hogwarts, magic and castles so please watch this space !

October 23, 2020
by Ms Payne

WB: 19.10.20 – Primary 1 numeracy Walk to the park

On Thursday 22/10/20 Primary 1 finally got to take a trip to Kirknewton Park.

We looked for numbers as we walked to the park and recorded them on our clipboards.

Zac – I saw number 5.

Asha – I saw on a house.

R – I saw the number 22 on a bin.

When we arrived at the park we had our snack – it was cold but fun to eat outside!

We then split into our groups.  One group had some free play in the park – it was great!

Lucy – I liked the swings.

William – I liked the baby swings and big swings.

Rory – I liked the climbing ropes.

M – I like the zipline

The other group did a numeracy task in the wooded area.  We had to collect 10 natural objects to make our own ten frame.  We will display these outside our classroom.  Then we swapped activities.

Toby – I found some helicopter leaves.

Kyle – I found some leaves.

S – I found leaves,  a stick and a pinecone

Our teachers were very proud of how responsible and safe we were and we hope that we can visit again soon!

October 9, 2020
by Miss Huxley
0 comments

Primary 1 W.B. 5.10.20

Another busy week in Primary 1!

This week to continue our interdisciplinary topic ‘All About Me’ we learned about our five senses.

We know our five senses are sight, touch, taste, hearing and smell.

We took went out and used our eyes to write down what we could see, we were lucky enough to see a helicopter!

We used our tongue to taste something sweet, sour, bitter and salty. We decided whether we liked these or not.

We used our nose to smell different mystery jars! Lots of us liked the smell of vanilla.

We used our ears to go on a sound walk around the school. We heard a train, plane, some sheep and the wind in the trees.

We used our touch to feel different ‘mystery items’ we used words like soft, scratchy and hard to describe these.

Well done to all the children in Primary 1 for their hard work so far.

Have a restful October holiday everyone!