Almost there…

For the last fortnight the adults in school have been very busy packing up the school ahead of our move. Our rooms down at East Calder are beginning to look really fantastic (as you will see in the school tour video clip). We still have a fair bit of work ahead of us (not least unpacking at the other end) but we are making very good progress!

Click here for a video reminder of our learning spaces for next session. This file is 6MB in size.

Ms. Anderson :)

Goodbye to our butterflies…

We have had a very busy and exciting week!  We have been learning all about data handling and making graphs and pictograms.  We also learned about worms and bees and are excited to have a minibeast hunt next week.

We also said goodbye to our caterpillars/butterflies.  Primary 1 took such good care of them that all 10 caterpillars managed to turn into butterflies.  On Thursday we invited Primary 2 and 3 to watch us release them in the top playground garden.

DSCN0160 DSCN0161 DSCN0162 DSCN0165

Kayley – They were very nice.

Eve – They were pretty when they flew.

Payton – I liked when the butterflies crawled on the grass.

Elliot – I looking at them flying.

Alastair – I liked seeing them flying away.

DSCN0166 DSCN0165 DSCN0164 DSCN0163

A wee reminder – Next week the children will be taking part in a variety of fun activities.  The children may come to school wearing shorts, tracksuit bottoms or joggers but should continue to wear a Kirknewton Primary School top.

19/06/15 – P7

WOW! A very busy week for us! We have been preparing for our P7 Leaver’s assembly and we had our induction days at Balerno High School! We had a brilliant time and made lots of new friends! We enjoyed getting a ‘taster session’ of our new classes and timetables too!

We are looking forward to our last week in P7! We have our assembly for tthe school, our evening Leavers’ event and our P7 ‘day away’! Another busy week ahead!

P7 & Miss Gardiner

Summer at last

Hello everyone

Last week we had lovely warm sunny weather so we made the most of it in the nursery. We moved lots of equipment outside for the children to enjoy, including our book corner, painting, sand, and drawing. We also saw lots of our buddies this week, they also enjoyed playing outside both in the nursery garden and on the field.

It was a beautiful day for sports day and it was lovely to see you all there cheering on the runners. We did a flat race and a hula hoop race for boys and girls in the morning with the rest of the school and afternoon children enjoyed doing  a flat race, a hula hoop race and a jumping race in their colour groups.

The pre schoolers had a busy week, they had their transition time on Monday where they played games, did problem solving and did crafts. They also met their Primary 1 teacher on Thursday (pm) and Friday (am) and played games with her.

In music we practised a couple of new songs and our letter focus was i. The last letter we will be doing is n on Tuesday 16th June. The children have really enjoyed their show and tell sessions and hopefully this will help them when they learn these letters in Primary 1.

A couple of pieces of information now – The magician is coming on Tuesday 16th June, the cost is £2.50, if you have not paid yet, please pay as soon as possible.

The Graduation ceremonies will take place on Thursday 25th June at 2.50pm for afternoon children and on Friday 26th June at 10.50am for morning children. We look forward to seeing you there.

The Nursery Team

Dinosaurs and pandas. P2

2014 to 2015 p2 archive 443 2014 to 2015 p2 archive 444 2014 to 2015 p2 archive 450 2014 to 2015 p2 archive 445 2014 to 2015 p2 archive 453Here are some of the photos of the zoo trip on Thursday. We were all very happy to make it to the top of the hill in the heat!

House Captain/Vice House Captain Applications

It’s that time of year again – House Captain and Vice House Captain applications!

This morning Primary 6 and Ms Anderson discussed what makes a good HC/VHC. Everyone in Primary 6 has been issued with guidance for the application process (Application info). Those selected to be HC/VHC will be told before the summer holidays.

We are looking forward to receiving applications from those interested.

Ms Anderson :-)

Kirkie’s got Talent

Thank-you to everyone who auditioned for Kirkie’s got Talent. We were impressed with how talented our pupils are. Pupils who received an invitation to audition again for our judges will do so on Monday. These auditions will be recorded so that those who do not perform in the final show will still be able to share their talent with the whole school.

The House Captain/Vice House Captain Team 8-)

Zoo trip

I loved it when the dinosaur squirted me and it was eating a fish. Danny
The pandas were very big! Alexander
The dinosaur squirted me with water! Lilly
I liked the robotic dinosaurs. Aimee
The lemurs and the monkeys were good jumping around. Hannah
The dinosaur that sprayed water was funny. James
Sitting for a snack and having a big chat was good. Finlay
I liked getting wet at the dinosaur park.Monty
A big thank you to Mrs Roberton, Mrs Gray, Mrs Cockburn and Mrs Miller for their help.
Well done Primary 2 you were all stars and so well behaved.
Primary 2 will be dressing up as pirates or mermaids on Friday 19th June.

Summer has arrived in Primary 1

We had a fantastic Sports Day and had lots of fun .

P6090100

Races:

Elliot – I like the running race because I like to start and stop.

Cayden – I like the egg and spoon race because I came third in it.

Tierni – I like the sack race because it was fun.

P6090107

Potted Sports:

Sean – I like the tug of war because I like pulling the rope.

Kayley – I like the all of the activities.

Alastair – I like doing the welly boot throw because I got it past the red cones.

Katy – I like jumping over the hurdles because we ran back.

Lewis S – I like doing the hurdles because you got to run and jump.

P6090130 P6090216

We have also been taking advantage of the lovely weather and have been outside as much as possible.
P6110283

On Thursday we had our auditions for Kirkies got talent.  The teachers were overwhelmed by the talent in Primary 1!!!!

P6110285 P6110281

On Friday we came to school and saw that 6 of our butterflies had come out of their chrysalis.

Brodie – I know that they are organising their wings.

Ruairidh – I liked when they come out their chysalis.

Jakub – I like that the butterflies have come out of their chysalis – they are beautiful!

P6120291 P6120295

Primary 4 Enjoy Sports Day

P6090443

Primary 4 had a great time participating in a variety of traditional sports.