Kirknewton Primary School

June 29, 2016
by Ms Anderson
0 comments

Session 2016/17 Update

Please see attached an update regarding the start of next session.

Update from Kirknewton Headteacher Eileen Brown

I would like to thank all our pupil, parents and staff for meeting the challenges that we have faced over the last 18 months, since it was announced that our school was to close temporarily. We really appreciate all the comments of support and thanks that we have received from you.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank East Calder Primary School who have accommodated us in their school and have worked with us to ensure that pupils from both school have had a positive experience.

August 26, 2016
by Ms Payne
1 Comment

Nursery – WB: 22.8.16

P8260030

Welcome to the Nursery Blog- We have had a very busy week back and have all been very excited to see our new building.

P8260014 P8260009 - Copy

We have been taking advantage of the lovely weather and going outside as much as possible to use our Nursery garden.  We would like to say a big Thank You to all the parents who helped get it ready for us!

P8260010 P8260011 P8260013 P8260025 P8260026 P8260027 P8260028

This week we have been learning about the routines in the Nursery and also learning all the new boys and girls names. We even went for a tour of the new school and saw all the school boys and girls working very hard!

Here are some of the things we like about our new Nursery:

Emma – I like playing with the blocks outside.

Ruairidh – I liked playing in the house outside.

Ellie – I liked going in the house and playing.

Tate – I like playing outside.

Joshua – I liked seeing my friends in the big school.

August 22, 2016
by Ms Anderson
0 comments

Sent by Groupcall

The telephone number for the school from 8.30am tomorrow will be 07825042794. As soon as a permanent number is assigned we will let you know. We look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow. Reminder-P1-P4 pupils should line up in the top playground with P5-P7 lining up in the bottom playground (supervision is from 8.30am).

June 19, 2016
by Miss Hocking
1 Comment

P4 Rio Olympics 2016

Canadian flag

Mrs Brown has been giving all the classes in school a task linked to the Olympics. Our class was chosen to represent Canada.

Task 1 was to find out the capital city of  Canada.  Task 2 was to find out 5 interesting facts about Canada. Task 3 was to create a song for the Olympics. Our song was a melody of Queen tunes and ” I’ll be coming round the mountain” using ideas from the children. Our song was very jolly and everyone who heard us perform it  enjoyed it. Our next task is to create a banner depicting Canada.

Song words. Please feel free to sing along with your child ( if they haven’t made you join in already!) just click to get the link.

We are Canadians my friend.

Charlotte’s web.

We have finally finished our class novel and there was not a dry eye in the house! We have been comparing the 1973 cartoon with the book and noting differences. The level of discussion throughout this book has been …..

charlottes-web

In technology we had a go at making 3D dragonflies. On Monday we will write an evaluation of our models.

Last homework and spelling test this week. I am looking forward to your Summer survival tips for me. Keep working hard P4, we are nearly there!

Miss Hocking.

June 17, 2016
by Ms Payne

Primary 2 WB: 13.6.16

This week in maths we learned all about 2D shapes.  We looked at the number of sides and corners and tried to find them in the classroom.DSCN0447 DSCN0450 DSCN0449 DSCN0445We made our own patterns and created pictures using the 2D shapes.

Annabelle – My favourite shape is a circle. It has one edge and no corners.

Josh – 2D shapes are flat and you can touch them.  

Evan – We learned about hexagons.  They have 6 sides and 6 corners.  We looked for hexagons in our classroom and found pencils and the egg timerDSCN0441 DSCN0442 DSCN0443 DSCN0444In Literacy we learned about speech bubbles and speech marks.  We looked at different characters and thought about what they might say.  We then wrote sentences about the speech bubbles using the correct punctuation.  DSCN0437 DSCN0438 DSCN0439 DSCN0440

This week in our topic we learned all about rain.  We learned some songs and poems and thought about the good and bad things about rain.  We took advantage of the terrible weather and went outside to do some rain art.  We had to use the rain and wind to move the paints to make a picture and learned all about mixing colours.  We had lots of fun and got VERY messy!

DSCN0436 DSCN0435 DSCN0434 DSCN0433 DSCN0429 DSCN0430 DSCN0431 DSCN0432 DSCN0428 DSCN0427

DSCN0425Rory – We put the paintings in the puddles and the puddles got all colourful. Then used paintbrushes to mix all the paints together.

Ruairidh – I loved when we were putting the pictures in the puddles.

Sophie – I liked dipping the picture in the puddle.

June 15, 2016
by Mrs Griffiths
1 Comment

Magic in the Nursery 15th June 2016

P6150006 P6150009 P6150010 P6150011 P6150012

Today we had a visit from Douglas the Clown. He wowed us with his amazing magic tricks!

Lexie – “I liked the bunny. Her name was Snowdrop.”

Oliver – “I liked the funny noses.”

Callum – “I liked the magic colours.”

Ruairidh – “The coloured wands were so funny!”

Isla – “I loved the washing machine trick.”

Harry – “The magic wand made stuff go away.”

June 14, 2016
by Mr Buckley
1 Comment

P6 Digital Learning Week 6/16

P6 had great fun during Digital Learning Week.  We a) Made movie trailers using the iPads, b) Created 16×16 icons (icns files) and c) Created spiral artwork which was then digitised and rotated whilst also being set to music. Unfortunately there is a 50mb limit to our unload so these can not be shared.

IMG_0711 IMG_0715 IMG_0707 IMG_0718 IMG_0717 IMG_0691 IMG_0698 IMG_0679 IMG_0708