Kirknewton Primary School

January 18, 2019
by Mr Wilson
0 comments

NURSERY – Winter Ready

My Winter Activity Booklet

Dear Families, 

As we could be expecting winter/snow weather, we have created a booklet that can be shared at home if nursery is closed. This information has been created with your child’s interests at heart by the nursery team. In the event that nursery is closed, a GROUPCALL text message will be sent to the number we have recorded for you – so please ensure this is up to date.

Information will also be shared via Social Media so please look out for this in the event of winter weather.

This is no means homework, but some fun filled play activities to enjoy at home whilst it’s snowy! Please feel free to share pictures with us on your child’s online learning journals. Some other activities will also be shared via the Nursery Blog by Mr Wilson to enjoy at home if you choose to do so. 

The Nursery Team 🙂 

January 18, 2019
by Mrs Kedslie
0 comments

Primary 7 W.E. 18/1/19

We managed 10k this week making our total so far 128k. 🙂

We were all very pleased to get our hoodies on Thursday. Thank you PSA. 🙂

I think they are really comfortable to wear. Finlay P

I think they are lovely colours. Freya

I love that they are fluffy and keep you warm. Kayla

We managed to finish our writing assessment about our Christmas day. We typed it on the computer using Microsoft Word. Iria

On Tuesday with Mrs Bird we filmed our debates on ‘Should palm oil be banned?’ I enjoyed it. Mia

With Mrs Smith we started a block of gymnastics. We performed syncronised jumps with a partner. Ryan

Also Mrs Parfery joined our class and she will be working with us for the rest of the term. We are looking forward to working with her. Savannah

January 17, 2019
by Miss Hocking
0 comments

First Minister’s Reading Challenge.

This week a Primary 3 pupil decided to challenge herself by visiting Primary 2 and becoming our early morning story teller. She read from one of the Harry Potter novels. The children were very excited by her visit and enjoyed it so much that they have invited her back ! It was lovely to see how confident a reader she is and her visit really sums up what the reading challenge is about. Well done and thank you !

January 17, 2019
by Ms Anderson
0 comments

Safer Internet Day – 5th February

Our Digital Captain team are busily working on ideas for Safer Internet Day on Tuesday 5th February. We are looking forward to updating you on our plans but in the meantime here are a few posters for parents/carers to support staying safe online.

SID2019 Parents and Carers – Pack Overview

SID2019 Parents and Carers – Conversation Starters

SID2019 Parents and Carers – Fun Things To Do

SID2019 Parents and Carers – Get Involved

SID2019 Parents and Carers – Information and Online Resources

SID2019 Parents and Carers – Internet Safety Plan

SID2019 Parents and Carers – Quick Activities

On Friday we launched the next chapter of the Building Resilience programme-‘Respect Yourself.’

In this unit we will cover:

•  There is no-one quite like me
  •  Everyone has different strengths
  •  I treat myself with respect

During the assembly we discussed the differences between us, the fact that we are all unique. Some primary 6 pupils shared their experiences of Dalguise and outlined their strengths in different activities.

We also listened to a story called ‘Zero,’ which explores value and self-worth. Click on the link below to hear it!

There is some new Home Learning which looks at what makes us special. This is due back in school for Friday 8th February.

The Parent/Carer leaflet below will share anything further you’d like to know about this term’s unit. Please also have a look at the slides from Friday’s assembly for you own information.

ParentCarer Leaflet

Respect Yourself Launch Assembly

January 11, 2019
by Miss Hocking
0 comments

P2 Scottish focus.

Primary 2 have been finding out where Scotland is  by learning to use an atlas. We have also been reading Scottish stories and our favourite so far has been “There was a wee lassie who swallowed a midge ” by our very own favourite author, Kate McLelland ! The children have also been designing their own tartan and they are looking very colourful.

January 11, 2019
by Miss Hocking
0 comments

Primary 2 Celtic round houses.

Primary 2 have continued  to enjoy learning about the Celts. This week the children were challenged to build a round house using construction materials. The children then made a roundhouse using a cylinder and a cone and wrote instructions.

January 11, 2019
by Mrs Bhebhe
0 comments

All About the Christmas Holidays, Story Writing in Primary 6

We are all excited to be back in school after the Christmas holiday. We all look forward to a busy and enjoyable year ahead. We started off our term by writing stories on the just ended holiday . We worked individually ,in pairs and  then in groups to write interesting accounts of things we did over the holidays. We each choose an interesting event which happened during the holidays and wrote a descriptive account of it. Some of us wrote about Christmas Day ,some about activities they attended and some about the lovely presents they got from Santa! We then worked as a group to assess the Success Criteria and scored each other marks. We tried hard to use the tips Lari Don , an award winning Scottish author, has taught us, to make our stories fun and engaging. All of us scored good marks, well done to us! We then chose group editors to help us look through the stories we wrote, to make sure mistakes were corrected. We will do a lot of peer collaborative work this term.

Working together made the writing task more fun , we all liked it. Each group then made a book by putting the stories together , choosing a title for the book and writing a Contents page and a little blurb. We have put up some photos of us working on our stories. You are welcome to come into P6 to read our Holiday Pages ! What an exciting start of the term!

January 11, 2019
by Mrs Kedslie
0 comments

Primary 7 – W.E. 11/01/19

We are all excited to be back to complete our final year at primary school. 🙂

We managed 8k this week making our total so far 118k. 🙂

This week we have been learning about the Holocaust:

I learned that Hitler targeted the Jews because he blamed them for the financial problems in Germany. Finlay P

I learned that Jewish people were treated horrifically in concentration camps. Maya

I learned that by the end of the war Hitler had killed over six million Jews. Amy

I learned that before the war, children escaped to Britain by kinder transport and this saved over 1ooo children. Jonathan

We also set personal goals for 2019:

I would like to improve on my skiing so we could go on a family holiday. Maya

I would like to get better at real life art. Kayla

I would like to get better at maths. Katie

I would like to improve my baking skills. Freya

I would like to improve my dancing skills. Ellie

I would like to improve my football skills. Jake

I would like to improve on my spelling. Ryan

I would like to compete in more tennis competitions. Jessica

January 11, 2019
by Miss Welsh
0 comments

Primary 4 week beginning 7th January

what a busy first week back to school we’ve had!

We have spent time talking about our holidays and the people we’ve spent time with. We’ve set ourselves some New Years Resolutions and some learning targets for this term.

In Maths weve focussed on money skills and symmetry. We really enjoyed using mirrors to help find the lines of symmetry in 2D shapes.

We’ve started to learn how to use speech marks in writing.  This was really challenging for a lot of us but we know with practice we will succeed.  We’re going  to yshave our growth mindsets for this!

We’ve also looked at writing directions for bee bots to navigate them to an end location.