Inveralmond Early Years Centre and Ladywell Nursery School

Box Clever

For the next few weeks the words for Box Clever are going to be taken from traditional tales.

These stories can be read to children from books but are often well enough known to be told without a book allowing the words to be used with and by children and staff throughout the nursery and at home too.

The children enjoy joining in with the the repeated phrases e.g.’Who’s been eating my porridge?’,’Run, run as fast as you can, you can’t catch me I’m the Gingerbread Man!’ or,’I’ll huff and I’ll puff and I’ll blow your house down!’. The experience of the rhyme and rhythm in the phrases is an important skill for future literacy development.

Children are soon able to retell the stories themselves further developing their use of language, having fun with language and using their imaginations as they play with the characters  developing their own story lines.

WEEK 1   NAMING WORDS

Ladywell-The Gingerbread Man

gingerbread man      cat     dog     cow   pony/horse  fox   river  back  head  mouth

Inveralmond-The Three Billy Goats Gruff

Big Billy Goat Gruff    Middle Billy Goat Gruff   Little Billy Goat Gruff

grass   bridge   troll   river   field/meadow  hoof/hooves   horns

NURSERY WORDBOOST

The boost words this week are:

mumbled   stern    tangled    stamp

RHYME OF THE WEEK

These are displayed in the cloakrooms of both nurseries.